Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You're bringing your kid to the ER for that??!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 611 Replies
15 moms liked this
I work in the radiology dept at a small hospital. I work the evening and overnight shifts mostly. It still shocks me how often we see parents bring their kids into the ER for the most ridiculous reasons.

I'm not talking about kids that have underlying problems....so something that would be minor in most is actually a big concern. The regular old healthy kids are the ones I'm talking about.

Earlier tonight, for instance, I had to do a chest X-ray on a little boy. I say to the mom "what kind of problems brought you guys in here?" She replies that he's had a slight cough and a 100 fever. I'm thinking its been going on for a while since its....3 a.m. and you're bringing your kid in for this. Oh no. She says it started just a few hrs ago. Are you effing kidding me lady?

I've had to do abdomen X-rays on babies for normal, mild spit up or gas. Seriously?

Last week I had to do a ct scan on this 15 yo head because she did a front roll and bumped her head. Not like a crazy back springs or something outrageous. Just a simple little front roll. Not even a mark on her.

Last week I did abdomen X-rays on a 10 yr old. She was constipated. Her pcp had already told her that. Mom still demanded an abdomen ct after that. Came back....she's constipated. Seriously.....you just subjected your young daughter to a bunch of radiation...all dead center to her freakin ovaries....all because she's constipated. Yet, you couldn't accept that answer. We showed you all the shit (literal) on her regular X-ray. As did the pcp the day before!

Countless times we get the "they have been running a REALLY high fever all day". "Oh, how high has it gotten?" "101.5 was the highest just a little bit ago". O_o

That's my work rant for the week. I just hate having to xray kids... expose them to unneeded radiation...all because their parents are being spastic imbeciles.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:23 AM
2 moms liked this
Yep. I agree!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:23 AM
60 moms liked this
So much for being open minded and non dogmatic. You know what I'm tired of? Judgmental assholes in the health and human service fields.
MomOf3AngelBabe
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:25 AM
9 moms liked this

I understand but moms like me, whove lost a child, get worried sick when something is perceived to be really wrong. They dont get that a brand new fever isnt something to panic over. New moms are notorious for this. 

Wheepingchree
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:27 AM
2 moms liked this
I have *knock on wood* not needed to take my daughter to the hospital and wouldn't unless there was something serious going on. Broken limb, uncontrollable bleeding, severe rash or vomiting. Taking her to the ER for something minor would just be traumatizing for everyone involoved.
TrouserMouse
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:28 AM
4 moms liked this
I don't really care. Some people use ER's because they are more convenient and they don't have to wait or miss work. The true emergencies will still take priority. Let them wait for hours for a minor ailment.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:30 AM
12 moms liked this

you suck. Do your job and don't judge people. If you dont like it, get another job. Jesus.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:31 AM
32 moms liked this
I'm sorry for being aware of radiation concerns and frustrated at asshole parents for demanding unnecessary testing on their kids that absolutely dont need them. Especially the ones that demand multiple exams that all lead to the same answer.....and then get mad at us.

But hey.....if you feel like subjecting radio sensitive children to unnecessary radiation is a smart thing to do....I guess everyone's entitled to their opinions, right?

Quoting Anonymous:

So much for being open minded and non dogmatic. You know what I'm tired of? Judgmental assholes in the health and human service fields.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:32 AM
15 moms liked this
I like my job. Hell, I love it.

Stupid parents just annoy me.

Quoting Anonymous:

you suck. Do your job and don't judge people. If you dont like it, get another job. Jesus.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:32 AM
11 moms liked this

What kind of hospital do you work at where parents walk in and order x-rays and ct scans?  Don't the doctors have to order things like that?  Yes, people come in for stupid reasons, but it seems to me that the real problem there is the doctors.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I can definitely understand that.

The most frustrating are the parents that refuse to believe the results, forcing us to continually irradiate their kids for no reason.

Quoting MomOf3AngelBabe:

I understand but moms like me, whove lost a child, get worried sick when something is perceived to be really wrong. They dont get that a brand new fever isnt something to panic over. New moms are notorious for this. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN