Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think everyone of voting age should be allowed to vote?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 135 Replies
1 mom liked this
My grandfather and great grandmother both have some form of dementia and neither truly knows what's going on in politics or who's running for offices.

My grandfather quit voting a few years ago but my great grandmother who just turned 99 is still taken to a voting location by one of her sons who tells her who to vote for (main things like the gov and pres)

I do think there should be some laws concerning what my great uncle is doing but I don't really know if there should be some sort of a test to determine if someone is competent to vote. I don't want something like a literacy test from years ago, but maybe something like what is today? who is our president? Those sort of questions.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:20 AM
4 moms liked this
Screw it. The government will do whatever it wants anyway
NeverTooMany
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:21 AM
15 moms liked this
The electoral college is all that really counts anyway. Voting is a con to make people calmer thinking they have some say.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think everyone should be allowed to vote for example if you are not a home owner you shouldn't get to vote in for new schools that will raise other peoples property taxes. I think you should also be of sound mind to vote in other things as well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Or which conspiracy theories does one subscribe to?

couture-mommy
by She.Me.Her on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Man, I think if they don't know what's going on or are uneducated about the political side of things, then no.
(The general "they")
luvmykidsJC
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I can tell you that my great grandmother, who has dementia is not allowed to vote. I don't know how that was determined but she is no longer eligible. I also know that my cousin with autism (he is 21) will never be allowed to vote. It sounds like your family member has just fallen through the cracks somehow

TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:25 AM

They used to do that....it was outlawed for being unfair.  As long as you are 18 in America and "smart" enough to fill out a voter registration card....doesn't matter how ignorant and, honestly, stupid you are -- you are entitled to vote.  

luvmykidsJC
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:26 AM
2 moms liked this

Personally, I think you should have to take a brief survey before you vote, something that anyone in their right mind could pass.

NeverTooMany
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:38 AM
7 moms liked this
People who do not own homes shouldn't have any say in new schools? Well military off post is effected by new schools and most rent. If you have kids in school you deserve a vote.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think everyone should be allowed to vote for example if you are not a home owner you shouldn't get to vote in for new schools that will raise other peoples property taxes. I think you should also be of sound mind to vote in other things as well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Quoting NeverTooMany:

People who do not own homes shouldn't have any say in new schools? Well military off post is effected by new schools and most rent. If you have kids in school you deserve a vote.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope, they should have no say if you don't own a home thne you have no business raising my propery taxes.I don't believe you should have any say I wished that would change.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN