Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What did you want from your labor and delivery nurse?

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM
  • 104 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi! Not sure if this is the right place to write this, but I figured it'd generate a lot of responses :)

I just got a job working in L&D as an RN and I was reading another post, which sparked this question for me. I do not start working with my preceptor until next Monday (not tomorrow) and I want to be the best nurse I can be. What were some things you wish would have happened, that your L&D nurse could have done, that would have made your experience better? Or, if your nurse was great, what did she do that made the experience go so well?

I appreciate any and all responses and I will take them all to heart. Thank you in advance!

by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
msjaxon
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Nothing. Dont be a jerk I guess.

I just watched my friend give birth, her l&d nurse was such a cheerleader. She got her to focus and was so positive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM
A bucket to toss my cookies in. Lol
all_4_my_son
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I wanted compassion, understanding and patience....received none of them. In fact she told me "they" were tired of seeing me in L&D (I was in pre-term labor off and on) and she felt I didn't need to be there yet again, because I was "faking" labor. Yea, Logan was born 4 hours later....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fairymom82
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Listened when I said the baby was coming lol or to stop chattering like a squirrel
StephJackson
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Eek, that's horrible, I am sorry!

I don't see why it matters if they see you over and over again. It's not like their pay decreases with repeat visitors. And I can't imagine being so rude to someone who is worried/giving birth to a child.

Quoting all_4_my_son:

I wanted compassion, understanding and patience....received none of them. In fact she told me "they" were tired of seeing me in L&D (I was in pre-term labor off and on) and she felt I didn't need to be there yet again, because I was "faking" labor. Yea, Logan was born 4 hours later....

firespurity
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM
2 moms liked this
Moral support. I like for my nurse to keep me informed of what is going on. And to bring me water since I'm trapped by monitors.
pregnantmama105
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM
this.

Quoting fairymom82:

Listened when I said the baby was coming lol or to stop chattering like a squirrel
teddysmama09
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM
3 moms liked this
I think the most important trait a nurse can have is empathy. Birth is often a terrifying experience (especially for a first time mom) and it helps when a nurse is kind, compassionate and listens to the mother. Treat the women like humans, respecting their views and beliefs.
momoftwoboys12
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM
My first l&d nurse wasn't so great. Took forever to get the paperwork done so I could get my epidural. My 2nd l&d nurse was amazing. She always came in to check on me and the last night I was in there I was super stressed cause my van got taken cause the tags were expired. She took my 2nd ds for most of the night so I could sleep
QueenAtargatis
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Kindness, compassion, and support.

I've had some bad ones (impatient, negative, pushy) and some wonderful ones who made me feel at ease. My favorites were the ones that listened to what I needed, and made helpful suggestions and encouraging comments without being pushy or judgmental. =]
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN