Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Letter from school...I'm worried! Long but please read!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 53 Replies
I was just emailed this letter from ds's school....

I am writing to share important information about an event that impacted our community this weekend.

On Saturday morning, administration was alerted by some students and parents that threats against students and the school were being made via a social media site. Throughout Saturday, we gathered more information from students and parents and worked with the police as they investigated. For the safety of our community, we shut down access to our buildings.

On Sunday, all four school buildings were searched by police accompanied by explosive-detecting dogs. No weapons or evidence of devices were found and law enforcement officials determined that our buildings are safe. At the conclusion of the search, the buildings were secured and access will not be permitted until the start of school on Monday.

The Police Department, in conjunction with other local law enforcement agencies, has worked tirelessly throughout this weekend and is continuing to conduct an on-going criminal investigation. I’m sure that you have many questions about the information that I’m sharing. As this situation is an on-going police investigation as well as a school disciplinary investigation, I am unable to provide additional details about the situation at this time.

I recognize that learning this information will be concerning to many of you and to our students. We are confident in the work done by the law enforcement agencies to ensure that our students and school buildings are safe. In addition, there will be an increased police presence on campus as students and faculty return to campus on Monday. Our students have access to their guidance counselors to help reassure them regarding this matter.

This kind of has me freaking out and not really wanting to send ds to school tomorrow. Am I just overreacting?! How would you feel, what would you do?!
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mesfilles
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM
I would feel the same as you and keep my child home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:35 PM
5 moms liked this

Sounds like kids at the school made a threat. I understand the concern and as a teacher I would still go, as a parent I don't know. The thing is, what makes Tuesday any safer than Monday. How long would you keep your DS at home in fear?

CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I would and have still sent my kids. I feel very confident after seeing first hand how well they handle a lock down situation where there is a real gun and real bullets being fired across the street from the school. This happened on field day and within minutes literally the school was locked down, every person on the premises was accounted for and their was chain of leo's surrounding the school. I just can't say enough about how impressed I was. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

That's a good point. The only thing different about tuesday is he won't be at school...they have a field trip all day lol

But idk..im just a wreck. I know when I was in school we had tons of threats and nothing ever came of them. Just totally different when you're the parent, ya know? And he's only 5, if he were older maybe I wouldn't be as worried? Maybe not..idk! ghh I feel like I'm going to worry all year now.

It might help if they gave more information as to what the threats were and what age the kids where. He goes to a charter that is grades k-12 so if i knew it was in the hs, i wouldn't be as worried as they are in a different building on the other end of campus. I understand why they aren't giving out any more info...it just sucks.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sounds like kids at the school made a threat. I understand the concern and as a teacher I would still go, as a parent I don't know. The thing is, what makes Tuesday any safer than Monday. How long would you keep your DS at home in fear?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Hopefully, it's the same situation that we dealt with here.... the threats were made against the high schools, but all the city schools were searched.... a stupid bunch of high schoolers found out that if they called into the news station, threatened to bomb the school... then well, they won't have school that day. How awesome!

Since the letter mentioned 'disciplinary investigation', it makes me think that kids are behind it... not that kids are any less of a danger (scary thought, I know)... just tell your son to make sure he listens to the teacher at all times

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Oh my...well thats freaking terrifying.

I know the school is very safe and has A LOT of procedures in place for situations like that but seeing as though I have never heard of them having any problems like this before, ds is only 5 and is my first in school...it just really caught me off guard and is scaring the daylights out of me. uughhh

Quoting CuriousArentYa:

I would and have still sent my kids. I feel very confident after seeing first hand how well they handle a lock down situation where there is a real gun and real bullets being fired across the street from the school. This happened on field day and within minutes literally the school was locked down, every person on the premises was accounted for and their was chain of leo's surrounding the school. I just can't say enough about how impressed I was. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I would still send my kids. They learned of the threat and they took the proper steps to get it under control. If they had just ignored it I would feel a lot differently.

I agree with a different poster....what makes Tuesday safer than Monday or Thursday safer than Friday? They took the right steps to prevent and correct the situation, that's all you can really do.

Decemberlov
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:51 PM
sad. just one more reason to add to the list of why I will be pulling my child out in a few months to home school
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

That's true but just weird that it happened over the weekend, ya know? Like if that's why they were making threats....why make them on a friday or saturday?!

I will talk to ds about it tomorrow, I'll have to somewhat explain to him why the police are there. Another thing that worries me is that ds's teacher isn't even going to be in school tomorrow, she's in freaking disney world so i don't even know who his sub is and how familiar with the school and their procedures are. blaahhh this sucks!

Quoting Anonymous:

Hopefully, it's the same situation that we dealt with here.... the threats were made against the high schools, but all the city schools were searched.... a stupid bunch of high schoolers found out that if they called into the news station, threatened to bomb the school... then well, they won't have school that day. How awesome!

Since the letter mentioned 'disciplinary investigation', it makes me think that kids are behind it... not that kids are any less of a danger (scary thought, I know)... just tell your son to make sure he listens to the teacher at all times

2kids2dogs2cats
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:53 PM

If someone is serious about doing damage, they will no longer do it on Monday, most likely it has already been addressed, as who did this.  They can't publish the information because most likely is a minor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured