Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I told my daughter she didn't have to do her homework this weekend

Posted by   + Show Post
My 13 year old had homework for PE over the weekend she was supposed to watch a football game and write a paragraph on it. We have had a busy weekend yesterday was skating practice and Costco,target and grocery shopping and today we went bowling for my sons birthday and are headed to dinner. So I told her I would write her teacher a note telling her we didn't have time to sit around and watch a football Game this weekend. Would you cancel your plans for PE homework?
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Replies (31-40):
fairyjester
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

so when another class has an assignment that is inconvenient you will excuse that to.  well we know who will cause her to fail don't we.  

and as far as not liking , most kids do not like alot of school work, so we can excuse all homework i guess, just cause we don't like it.

Quoting LCWAmommy:

So we are supposed to cancel plans we have because her teacher wants her to sit and watch a football game all Day. Our tv doesn't even come on during the weekend unless someone is sick we do things as a family and no one in our family likes to watch football.

Quoting fairyjester:

good precedence to set.  that homework, any homework, should just be ignored

armyslpbaby
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:46 PM
3 moms liked this
You know, life will just keep getting tougher for her as school gets harder and more demanding. School is her work right now and while it's a stupid homework I would tell her that her homework is her responsibility. Teach resourcefulness- google the highlights and summary of the game and write a quick paragraph about it. A paragraph can just be 4-5 sentences, it's no big deal, really. That's just my opinion
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I've been teaching for 12 yrs. the PE teacher at our school just gave my class an essay test to reinforce writing skills. The social studies teacher just assigned a 2 paragraph essay to reinforce writing skills. My science class is writing a 1-3 pg report. It is very very normal and good practice.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm going to school to become a teacher and I think that's ridiculous. Pe is supposed to be all physical, hence physical education.

I think I'll bring this up in class Wednesday tho

Quoting Anonymous:

It's called subject integration, and good teachers do it. Writing skills should be reinforced in all subject areas.

Quoting LocoCountryMama:

I could see playing football as PE homework, but writing a paragraph about a game on tv? What is she going to learn from that? Stories like this make me glad I homeschool.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM
I've been teaching for 12 yrs. the PE teacher at our school just gave my class an essay test to reinforce writing skills. The social studies teacher just assigned a 2 paragraph essay to reinforce writing skills. My science class is writing a 1-3 pg report. It is very very normal and good practice.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm going to school to become a teacher and I think that's ridiculous. Pe is supposed to be all physical, hence physical education.

I think I'll bring this up in class Wednesday tho

Quoting Anonymous:

It's called subject integration, and good teachers do it. Writing skills should be reinforced in all subject areas.

Quoting LocoCountryMama:

I could see playing football as PE homework, but writing a paragraph about a game on tv? What is she going to learn from that? Stories like this make me glad I homeschool.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I would write back and say we CANT watch the football game. we cant watch any football games. 

I hate when teachers try to assign television as a homework assignment. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Coming from a PE teacher, I wouldn't accept a note. We often find ways to use skills the kids are learning in their core classes in our classes. I've had a couple of classes write papers on physical activity and the importance of it. Also, while watching the game she is learning about that particular sport, which more than likely they will be playing in class.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM
2 moms liked this
She's at an age where she's going to have homework on the weekends. Stop overbooking her weekends so that she has time to get her work done. The teacher isn't going to care that you were busy and she'll get a zero.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM
3 moms liked this

....the game is on today. 

You are sitting on the computer. 

Why exactly does she not have time? 

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:51 PM
I'd tell the teacher it was stupid.

P.e. homework? How about getting in 15 minutes of exercise?
cali_gurl
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:51 PM

She didn't have 2 hours of downtime at home all weekend? I am a teacher and wouldn't appreciate that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)