Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I told my daughter she didn't have to do her homework this weekend

Posted by   + Show Post
My 13 year old had homework for PE over the weekend she was supposed to watch a football game and write a paragraph on it. We have had a busy weekend yesterday was skating practice and Costco,target and grocery shopping and today we went bowling for my sons birthday and are headed to dinner. So I told her I would write her teacher a note telling her we didn't have time to sit around and watch a football Game this weekend. Would you cancel your plans for PE homework?
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Replies (41-50):
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Missing family shopping one time wouldn't hurt anything.

Quoting LCWAmommy:

Pretty much we make Plans for our weekends. My husband is out of town all week so weekends are family time which is why we all go shopping together.

Quoting HistoryNutty:

I would have written a letter too. "We don't like watching sports in this house and I'm not forcing my kid to watch something I can't stand to watch."
LilliesValley
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

It's HOMEWORK. Doesn't matter if you think the subject isn't of value, you are teaching your child that some homework isn't worth her time. Nope, I wouldn't do that. There's plenty of shitty things you have to do in life that are stupid, it's a good lesson that you are not allowing her to gain. Lastly, watch an old game on the NFL network, they take an hour OR dvr one and fast forward. And I'm sure your kid had a couple of hours of down time SOMEWHERE or could have missed Costco, target and grocery shopping to do homework. Sounds like you aren't prioritizing well, your kid wont learn to either and your kid is missing a valuable life lesson. Bad parenting imo, but your kid, your issue.

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Does she have time for her other homework on the weekends?

Quoting LCWAmommy:

So we are supposed to cancel plans we have because her teacher wants her to sit and watch a football game all Day. Our tv doesn't even come on during the weekend unless someone is sick we do things as a family and no one in our family likes to watch football.

Quoting fairyjester:

good precedence to set.  that homework, any homework, should just be ignored

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:01 PM
If your child was in my class she would get a zero on the assignment. If we were having a class discussion on the football game she would probably also get a poor grade on the discussion. She'd also struggle with the proof reading activity and final draft that would probably occur.

I think you are setting your daughter up for a world of pain that could have been prevented.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Footballs can go up to 4 hours long, are you serious?  He expects you to let your kid sit in front of the TV for four hours?  No.  Not at all. 

sarah824
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I think you are setting a really bad example for your child. Because you don't like/don't agree with the homework assignment you are coming up with excuses for why she couldn't get it done.

What about other homework, will you excuse her from that as well? What if the assignment had been to write a paper on some other subject, would you have let her out of that too? Or is it *just* because it is football?

cutebaby06
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I don't think they had to watch a whole game, just enough of it to be able to write a paragraph.

Quoting Anonymous:

Footballs can go up to 4 hours long, are you serious?  He expects you to let your kid sit in front of the TV for four hours?  No.  Not at all. 

MommmaBeee
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:22 PM

You could have her call my Dh he could basically write the paper for her! 

Rhodin
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Just copy a news article on it.
AF2011
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Just say that your religion doesn't allow you to watch football on Sundays :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured