Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fever question....calling all doctor moms

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 146 Replies
Dd 6 has been running a fever since Friday night (low grade 100.4-101.7). I've been giving her Tylenol to keep it down, and haven't felt the need to take her to the doctor just yet because she isn't showing any other symptoms of anything like an ear infection or strep etc. No vomiting/diarrhea. She's not lethargic or having difficulty breathing. Just a mild headache Friday night which went away. I'm debating on keeping her home from school if she's still running above 100,and possibly taking her to the pedi. She's acting normal, so I don't want to keep her home unless I have to. But I don't want to send her to school with a fever just to have her sent home. I'm thinking of sending her with a note that says she's been running a fever and that she may have tylenol / motrin during school from the nurse. WWYD?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Bump
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:38 PM
I was about to make the same post. DS6 has had a fever since Friday night, stuffy nose, no other symptoms. I've been having a fever since Tuesday. still have one. I can't decide whether or not to send him to school since he's feeling ok.
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:39 PM
40 moms liked this
They are supposed to be fever free for 24 hours and a fever is anything over 100.4

Keep her home, she's fighting off something and let her rest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:40 PM
2 moms liked this
This exactly.

Quoting Roxygurl:

They are supposed to be fever free for 24 hours and a fever is anything over 100.4

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Dh and I are just getting over being sick with bad chest colds, the kids haven't turned up sick yet, just dd with her fever. I know the school doesn't want the kids to come with a fever, but I really don't want her to miss school because of a low grade temp and no other symptoms of being sick. If she were hacking up a lung this would be a different story

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

I was about to make the same post. DS6 has had a fever since Friday night, stuffy nose, no other symptoms. I've been having a fever since Tuesday. still have one. I can't decide whether or not to send him to school since he's feeling ok.
brenda025
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Here you have to be fever free for 24 hours before returning to school..And they count it as a fever at 99.7..

NeonGirl9583
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Take her to school and let the nurse check her out.
The.Last.Rebel
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM
13 moms liked this

Stop giving her Tylenol UNLESS it's 102. A fever is good, a high one is not. Keep her home though until fever free for 24 hours.

Djinn83
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM
25 moms liked this

Tylenol is to treat symptoms of a fever, not the fever itself. If she is acting completely fine, don't give her anything. Let the fever run its course. Only medicate if she is miserable or uncomfortable.

And please, for the love of god, keep your sick kid home. Why infect other kids? This really grinds my gears. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Last temp before she fell asleep was 100.7. Thanks :) looks like she gets to hang out with mom and play minecraft while the boys are at school

Quoting Roxygurl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN