Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**content may offend some**

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:39 PM
  • 169 Replies
18 moms liked this
Anyone else think it is wrong prisoners in the United States often get treated better than those who are law abiding?

Prisoners get a bed to sleep in with livable temperatures, three meals a day, cable, medical/vision/dental coverage, and basically a gym membership, they have books at a library and can study and even obtain a degree.

Now walk through any even moderately large city in the US I bet you could find at least a dozen people within a half hour that don't have any of those things. Now consider the people who have some but not all of those things.

Anyone else think we should take away all the luxuries and give them only basic living NEEDS and put the money saved into improving our educational programs and mental health programs so we can reduce the number of crimes committed in the first place?
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomOf3AngelBabe
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I do!!

My first DH did prison time after we divorced. He said it was better in there than many people realize!

Read about our struggle with infertility, infant loss and our efforts to have a healthy baby. You can Subscribe to our blog here: prayingforbabycantrell1.blogspot.com
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:43 PM
5 moms liked this

I agree. I have long thought the prison systems should go back to bed, toilet, blanket, 3 basic meals. thats IT. 

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Yup
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:43 PM
5 moms liked this
No. I do not believe jail works at all and studies back it up. In BC we started using rehabilitation instead of jail for youth. Our crime rate went from one of the highest to the lowest in the country. We also have a very low recommit rate since the new program started. It went from 95% to 18%
XnikoX
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:43 PM
6 moms liked this

I agree. Prisoners get treated better than veterans do. And that alone I think is shitty.

Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I agree with you 100%

LocoCountryMama
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:45 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes! When you start hearing about people committing crimes just to get free health care in prison because they can't afford it, you know something is seriously wrong with our country.
ashwee356
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I agree. They should make it a lot harder on them.. like punishment.

I like the story I read about a prison in Arizona where they have to stay in tents and wear pink underwear.

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM
2 moms liked this
They're basically used as slave labor...it won't change, because it's cheap labor which equals better profit...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Newfie_Mom
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:47 PM
I don't discredit the fact that it doesn't deter especially when they get out and can't get jobs and realize taking care of and providing for yourself sucks why bother when they do it for nothing.

Rehabilitation especially for juveniles (for some crimes) would be a better system but I more meant those adults who commit crimes as adult go in for long sentences for crimes that just can't be fixed with rehabilitation.

Quoting Retrokitty:

No. I do not believe jail works at all and studies back it up. In BC we started using rehabilitation instead of jail for youth. Our crime rate went from one of the highest to the lowest in the country. We also have a very low recommit rate since the new program started. It went from 95% to 18%
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)