Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you become a foster parent

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
I'm planning to do some research but I'm just bouncing the idea around right now. Since my youngest is now in 1st grade I feel like I should use my free time to help a child. I have been so blessed to be able to stay home and raise my children.

So I'm just wondering if anyone here does foster care? Anything you wish you knew that you didnt before? Can I choose to only get younger children (pre school age)? Because my own children's safety is most important I don't want a child that has been abused that is older and stronger than they are. What kind of visit does cps do?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
buttercup627
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Idk but I think it's admirable to foster children so bump :)
vbway
by Valerie on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:42 AM
I don't do foster care but I know people who have. I knew a couple who only took in toddlers. My foster parents only took in teens for long term care. They would accept any children who needed a place to sleep for a night or two. That is how I ended up with them. I needed a place at 2 am. I was 6 months old. After they learned my situation, they decided to keep me. It worked out well : ) They were the best parents a girl could ask for. My state has a website for foster care and adoption, it has tons of info. Maybe your state has one too. I think it is great that you want to help children in need. Best WIshes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Thanks for the bump

Quoting buttercup627:

Idk but I think it's admirable to foster children so bump :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:45 AM
It takes pretty awesome people to wake up at 2am to take in a baby they don't know :)

I didn't know they would call in the middle of the night for placement

Quoting vbway:

I don't do foster care but I know people who have. I knew a couple who only took in toddlers. My foster parents only took in teens for long term care. They would accept any children who needed a place to sleep for a night or two. That is how I ended up with them. I needed a place at 2 am. I was 6 months old. After they learned my situation, they decided to keep me. It worked out well : ) They were the best parents a girl could ask for.

My state has a website for foster care and adoption, it has tons of info. Maybe your state has one too.

I think it is great that you want to help children in need.

Best WIshes.

MamaPeanut
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Your story really warms my heart! :)
Thank you for sharing.

Quoting vbway:

I don't do foster care but I know people who have. I knew a couple who only took in toddlers. My foster parents only took in teens for long term care. They would accept any children who needed a place to sleep for a night or two. That is how I ended up with them. I needed a place at 2 am. I was 6 months old. After they learned my situation, they decided to keep me. It worked out well : ) They were the best parents a girl could ask for.

My state has a website for foster care and adoption, it has tons of info. Maybe your state has one too.

Best WIshes.
ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Contact your local human services department.
sspicoley
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Contact children's protective services in ur area. There are also private agencies so get online and google foster care for your city. I worked for CPS in the foster/adopt unit so if u have any questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to help n
vbway
by Valerie on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM

They felt strongly about helping kids in need. Kids are removed in the middle of the night for all kinds of reasons, true emergencies. But they signed up for that. They were the only foster care home that would take kids after hours for about a 30 mile radius. 

Quoting Anonymous:

It takes pretty awesome people to wake up at 2am to take in a baby they don't know :)

I didn't know they would call in the middle of the night for placement

Quoting vbway:

Best WIshes.

brenda025
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I want to do faoster also but I don't have the energy to keep with my 2 as it is...So here is a bump for you trying to do something good for other children in need :0

vbway
by Valerie on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM

No problem. I owe everything to my foster parents and I always praise them when given a chance : )

They are still my parents, even though it was never made legal. I got to their house that night and they were told that they didn't think I would live more than a week or so. They called it failure to thrive. My brother was in the hospital with two broken arms and two broken legs. He also had an infection because he hadn't received treatment in almost two weeks. Both he and I were underfed and neglected. Luckily they took great care of us and we made it through just fine.  

They were never able to adopt us although they wanted to. The State decided that she should be given another chance after she got out of jail. I spent my childhood bouncing between a normal and loving home and a crazy life that I can't even put into words without writing a 900 page book. 

It worked out though, I got to know what real love was and experience a hard life. I think it made me a well rounded person with a good head on my shoulders. I guess things just having a way of working out sometimes. 

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Your story really warms my heart! :)
Thank you for sharing.

Quoting vbway:

Best WIshes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)