Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Being bullied into donating....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 101 Replies
1 mom liked this
For my dds birthday this year we are doing a donation box instead of presents.
I asked the person who is in charge of our local samaritan shop(like salvation army only worse) to give me a few of the women shelters in the next big town since we don't have any here so I could let dd pick one and start figuring out what they need.
She flat out refused to give me the names or numbers of them! And then got pissy that I hadn't thought to donate to them.
Well hell no I'm not going to donate to them. They let the workers pick through stuff before it gets out on the shelf. So if any of them are or have relatives in the size tou are looking for you won't find anything that isn't stained or ripped or worn through.
The comodities(sp?) They give out are moldy or expired.
They get lots of huge donations so where is the money going?
Ill tell you where...
Apparently the person who is in charge has enough money she can eat out every single day at a sit down restraunt. Oh but she can't afford to tip. I know because I've waited on her several times.
She also drives a brand new car about every 3-4 years. She herself wears name brand.
When they do the monthly utility assistance there are only about 10 families that can be helped.
They have no discrimination. Its first come first serve even if a huge family with small kids came in after a single person with no kids the single one would get it first.
Except for 3 older people who are friends with this woman. They don't even come in anymore she does it for them. Do these older people need it? Its possible but how is it fair to take it away from someone who needs it and made the initiative to make it up there in time. And yes they can make it up there. The day after the util asst I heard the coordinator talking in the store with one of them about how she made sure to put the lady down before anyone had shown up.

Anyway off the rant... I absolutely will not be donating to that place. Ill find the numbers my damn self.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BekahBrownEyes
by NoLies on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:41 AM
10 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:42 AM

bump

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:42 AM
8 moms liked this
Give it to the police. They don't give the names, locations of shelters for a reason. To protect the women and children there from abusive people that pit them there.
Anyone can have a female friend or family member call for them and say they want the info just for donations.
I have donated before, just take it to the police stations.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Exactly

Quoting BekahBrownEyes:

Mobile Photo

WrstMomever
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Yeah I would donate directly to the woman's shelter themselves.

buttercup627
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:44 AM
2 moms liked this
How old is your dd? Maybe let her find the charity she wants to donate to? Or donate according to get interests: like if she likes animals maybe donate to an animal shelter. Or maybe if she's really social toy can donate to a children's hospital
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Almost every donation shelter does that. I've volunteered at many, it sucks
Jabojoe
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
You can do this?? I never knew that! What a fabulous idea!

Quoting MIA0223:

Give it to the police. They don't give the names, locations of shelters for a reason. To protect the women and children there from abusive people that pit them there.

Anyone can have a female friend or family member call for them and say they want the info just for donations.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:47 AM
3 moms liked this
This is very true..I volunteered at one and I had to sign a confidentiality agreement stating I would never reveal the location. Its been years and I've never told a soul.

Quoting MIA0223:

Barronbaby
by Brandi on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Call local department f human services they have the names and locations as numbers. They may only give you the phone number but that's all you need. I donate to the women's shelter here, I usually meet the lady somewhere to give donation to her so the shelter isn't compromised
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)