Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you wear any 'non PC' or even straight up racist Halloween costumes as a kid?

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 117 Replies

I'm helping my kids think of Halloween costumes and it occurred to me that several costumes from my childhood were down right offensive. I was a gypsy. Now, this one isn't terrible but as an adult, I can see how it could be considered insensitive to the Roma culture even if I just liked to wear all the jewelry and long skirts.

Now my brother on the other hand, he went as an 'Arab'. This was during the Gulf War and he went around talking about his oil and his guns. As an adult, I can't believe my parents would have been completely okay with this.

So I was wondering whether anyone else had a BAD costume when they were a kid and would you let your kid wear it?

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
malissaL
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:43 AM

uhhhh...

being a gypsy is offensive?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you're thinking too much.

I was a zombie one year. I may have caused the upcoming zombie apocolypse. I'm sorry. 

MIA0223
by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM
I was a witch, green makeup, pointy hat and broom every year pretty much. That's offensive apparently.
And my first Halloween I was a hobo, compelte with empty beer bottle. Lol. At age 1!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Quoting MIA0223:

I was a witch, green makeup, pointy hat and broom every year pretty much. That's offensive apparently.
And my first Halloween I was a hobo, compelte with empty beer bottle. Lol. At age 1!

Oh wow! LOL

mem82
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:29 AM

8) Maybe a little bit on the gypsy part, but then again, I just read an article about how they are still being persecuted in Europe so maybe not.

Yeah, the whole 'I'm an Arab terriorist' thing was just in bad taste.

Obviously you did start the Zombie Apocalypse because 3 of my 4 are being Zombies in some way or another.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you're thinking too much.

I was a zombie one year. I may have caused the upcoming zombie apocolypse. I'm sorry. 

mem82
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I'm pretty sure that it isn't the height of sensitivity. I don't think it's in league with like, blackface, but it's probably not very amusing to Roma people.

Quoting malissaL:

uhhhh...

being a gypsy is offensive?

mem82
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I don't really think being an old person is offensive or non PC.

Quoting BluePandaDreams:

I was a homeless person a couple years. I was also a old woman. Back then I didn't care if I offended anyone. Still don't. It's halloween, who cares how one dresses up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:33 AM
My daughter just asked to be an Indian princess with a sari and the henna on her hands. We have a huge Indian population here and tried to steer her in a different direction. It was a beautiful outfit but I was nervous that she would get attacked for "dressing up" as someone else's everyday culture. I still don't know if I did the right thing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:33 AM
5 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Like this one?
imakehimscream
by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:34 AM
I was a baby back in 2000. Oh um this one time my church had a fest for the kids. We dressed up as people from the bible. I decided I wanted to be Jezebel. Yeap not one of my prouder moments. My mom even did my make up and hair. I think I was 10
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured