Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You're a bully!!!

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:04 AM
  • 58 Replies
What does the word bully mean to you? I feel that it's being thrown around too much. Kids will be mean, they will tease, but that's not bullying. Now if the kid is being beat up, or thrown into a locker everyday well that different. But name calling, or kids not agreeing with each other is not being a bully.

Why aren't kids taught to stick up for themselves anymore?
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:08 AM
9 moms liked this

You can't be that dense? Do you not consider emotional and mental abuse, abuse simply because no one was hit? 

Bully has many forms, disagreeing with an individual in a tactful manner is not bullying but belittling, berating, teasing, mocking and verbally assaulting someone is bullying!

I was terribly bullied as a kid, it was mostly verbal but it was mentally and emotionally damaging. Nothing was ever done about the bullying until I started physically assaulting my tormentors. That's how I stood up for myself. 

Tairy_Hesticles
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Really? C'on. So it's better to teach your kids to cry every time some kid may say something mean? Then we should teach our kids to have no back bone, and never stick up for themselves.

Quoting Anonymous:

You can't be that dense? Do you not consider emotional and mental abuse, abuse simply because no one was hit? 

Bully has many forms, disagreeing with an individual in a tactful manner is not bullying but belittling, berating, teasing, mocking and verbally assaulting someone is bullying!

I was terribly bullied as a kid, it was mostly verbal but it was mentally and emotionally damaging. Nothing was ever done about the bullying until I started physically assaulting my tormentors. That's how I stood up for myself. 

Tairy_Hesticles
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Bump
RaniNY
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree. I have said it before: bullies derive pleasure and power from denigrating and torturing someone they perceive as vulnerable. That person becomes a scapegoat. They usually try to keep it hidden end enlist others to commit the same acts against the target until it becomes an inescapable thing. Physical attacks are not a big part of it, because the bullies will be discovered, and lose their power and influence. I was badly bullied as a child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Tairy_Hesticles
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Bump
RaniNY
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM
2 moms liked this
You couldn't have been badly bullied as a child over a long period of time or you wouldn't be saying these things.

Quoting Tairy_Hesticles:

Really? C'on. So it's better to teach your kids to cry every time some kid may say something mean? Then we should teach our kids to have no back bone, and never stick up for themselves.

Quoting Anonymous:

shabbalaquita
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

a bully IMO is someone who is perpetually picking on others...the get a sense of happiness from it.

I recently dealt with a bully situation. I told my kid to beat the snot out of the other kid if it happened again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM
4 moms liked this

Where did I say that at all? I was commenting on the statements of your original post, you clearly stated that name calling isn't bullying and that children are going to be mean. You said it as though children should just expect that sort of behavior from their peers. That's a sad thought process. 

I can't speak for other children but because of MY bullying I have taught my children how to stand up for themselves but just because they can doesn't mean they should have to. This means teaching children not to bully, not to belittling individuals because they disagree with them or simply don't like them. 

If a parent should teach their child how to stand up for themself, other parents should teach their children not to bully. 

Quoting Tairy_Hesticles:

Quoting Anonymous:

Tairy_Hesticles
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM
I was, and that's exactly why I'm saying this.

Quoting RaniNY:

You couldn't have been badly bullied as a child over a long period of time or you wouldn't be saying these things.

Quoting Tairy_Hesticles:

Quoting Anonymous:

just_hc
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

But I agree it is thrown around too much.  But bullying does include verbal abuse.  Bullying is something that happens over and over relentlessly over a period of time.   Not just a mean comment once in a while.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN