Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

giving up career for a person?

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM
  • 30 Replies

I have been with my bf for 6 months and I am currently studying to become a Pastor it is my passion. He is now telling me I have to choose between him and my career. When I am done with school they can send me wherever they want and I cannot bring my bf and cohabitate without being married. It is part of the religion.

Now he is telling me I should get another career. He knew I was studying to be a pastor when we first got into a relationship its not like it was some surprise. I really don't know what I should do advice greatly appreciated!

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZombieMeat
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM

You have only been with him for 6 months, and you don't know whether or not you want to give up a carreer for him? I wouldn't give up a carreer for my husband, if it was that important to me.

sweetfox3
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Why should you have to give up your career, especially one you are passionate about?  If it was a meh-job-to-pay-the-bills, then fine.  So, you don't cohabitate with him.  If he wants to be with you wherever you are sent, he can follow and pay his own way andget his own place (and you get yours) or you two get married.  If there are impediments to marriage (such as one of you is still legally married to someone else) then get those resolved. 

i_am_no_1
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM

You want to be a pastor, yet you want to "live in sin"?

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Well do you know in your heart he is the one and you are going to marry?  That is how I would make my decision.  I knew the moment I met my husband he was the one and we would marry.  We were engaged after knowing each other 1mo and married 10mo's later.  We have now been married 16yrs.

amandacr1026
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Sounds like you need to do some serious soul searching. I myself would go forward with my career simply because thats a steady thing to support yourself. If he's meant to be the one then he will stick around in the background even if it has to be long distance for a time and eventually you'll get married. If he's not then God will lead you to the right one possibly thru your work.

AAP1988
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I am not living in sin. I told him he couldn't go because we are not married. So I told him we can skype, face time talk, im, and email until he is ready to take our relationship to the next level, and when he is ready to get married then he can come out. 

Quoting i_am_no_1:

AAP1988
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:19 AM

No I would not give up a career for him. 

Quoting ZombieMeat:

You have only been with him for 6 months, and you don't know whether or not you want to give up a carreer for him? I wouldn't give up a carreer for my husband, if it was that important to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:19 AM

wow, anyone that makes you choose usually isn't worth it.  If this is always what you wanted, then you need to go with your heart, he can't/shouldn't choose your path for you.  A career is a lifetime and he has only been in your life for a short time.

i_am_no_1
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:20 AM

oh ok!

Sorry, I got confused. I would go for your career and if he really loves you, he will do what is necessary.

Quoting AAP1988:

I am not living in sin. I told him he couldn't go because we are not married. So I told him we can skype, face time talk, im, and email until he is ready to take our relationship to the next level, and when he is ready to get married then he can come out. 

Quoting i_am_no_1:

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Run!!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN