Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is a baby really expensive??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 711 Replies
6 moms liked this
I'm not talking about the birth I'm talking about the actual baby. I guess since I have never had to actually buy furniture for my baby I don't see how it could cost thousands and thousands of dollars each year. A month supply of formula is maybe $120-$130 a month. 2 boxes of diapers for a month would probably be maybe $40. I just don't see how its expensive.

I don't have to pay for 2 kids to go to daycare. I refuse to move my oldest just so the baby can go to daycare. I have an aunt who would love to babysit until the baby turns one and I can put her with her sister and believe it or not not all babies go through 2 boxes of diapers ecspecially if you buy boxes of 100+.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM
52 moms liked this
Babies are as expencive as you make them. 100$ stroller vs 1000, breast feeding vs buying breast milk vs formula, organic non gmo made at home food vs gerber, name brand clothes vs Walmart vs got it on eBay only worn once, cloth vs disposable.....
AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM
12 moms liked this

Medical insurance (going from a worker and spouse to a family plan is the difference between $150/monthly for just the spouse and worker, and $750/month - assuming company is footing the other half the bill - for a family plan)

Co-pays for doctor visits and prescriptions

Diapers/wipes

Additional foods as they move into table food

Play equipment and toys (bouncers, play mats, toys, books, etc)

Other equipment (high chair, car seat, stroller, etc)

Furniture (crib, changing table, additional storage/dresser space)

Clothing and shoes (those little things outgrow clothes so fast!)

Some of those things are one time expenses; others incur monthly or weekly.

If you bottle feed, you have the cost of bottles and nipples; if you breastfeed you have pads, maybe a pump and bottles, etc.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

clemmy
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM
63 moms liked this

2 boxes of diapers? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!

Food, forumula, bottles, diapers, wipes, clothes (because they outgrow them fast!)... health care... then the ki gets older and needs more food, more clothes, school supplies, more food, toys, computers, cell phones, more clothes, money for gas & dating, school pictures, prom dresses....

It's expensive lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Babies...no. When they start eating real food then yes, it can be very expensive.
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM
5 moms liked this

I was smart and saved everything.

Starting from scratch? Strollers and carseats, cribs, furniture including dresser and rocking chair, baby swing, baby monitors, bedding, clothing, books, toys, and games, diapers, bottles and formula or pump and bags....

Cost around $3600 the first time.

Cost me around $400 this time.

supermama322
by Kaylee on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I don't think they are. lol

queencreekmom
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Not too much as babies, if you were given all that stuff, but they get expensive.  Sports, school, clothes, toys, activities, vacations, etc.  Yes, I spend thousands on my kids.  Easily.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM
I bought only 2 boxes a month and she never went through those two boxes unless she was sick and had diarrhea.

Quoting clemmy:

2 boxes of diapers? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!

Food, forumula, bottles, diapers, wipes, clothes (because they outgrow them fast!)... health care... then the ki gets older and needs more food, more clothes, school supplies, more food, toys, computers, cell phones, more clothes, money for gas & dating, school pictures, prom dresses....

It's expensive lol

usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:09 PM
6 moms liked this
Babies, no. When they get older, yes.
countrymomma81
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:10 PM
6 moms liked this

Add insurance into that, co-pays and deductibles, meds, clothes for different sizes and stages of their life, gas to get back and forth to appointments, daycare if you are a working mom. Baby food (if you don't make your own or whatever) isn't all that cheap either if you are paying for it with your money and not food stamps. 

It doesn't sound like a lot but all these seemingly small things add up. And if you have a special needs or sickly child I'd imagine those costs would skyrocket in a heartbeat. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)