Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it easy to go from bleach blonde to dark brown?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
Can you just buy dark brown hair dye and go to town? Or will it look like a big green mess? I have dirty blonde hair with tons of bleached highlights. But I wanna go dark! And don't want to pay a salon!!! Help me!
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imakehimscream
by He screams on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Idk you could try hair cutter they only charge 57 for a dye. That would be your best bet
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Yeah it is 65 here and I just don't want to pay that if I don't have to!

Quoting imakehimscream:

Idk you could try hair cutter they only charge 57 for a dye. That would be your best bet

cfcf
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Don't use Ash brown. Ash neutralizes red so it has a green base usually. If you're coloring over blonde it will look green.
cfcf
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:14 PM
When hair is bleached you are actually removing pigment. Depending on how blonde you are, consider first applying a lighter warm (red based) color over your blonde. Then choose the shade you want.

If you don't want a red base you could then apply an Ash (green base) to neutralize the red.

Since blonde hair doesn't have pigment, applying a brown could leave your hair with a dirty tone. It's better to do the two step process.
Okie-chick
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:15 PM
It's just best to go to a salon
nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I went from blonde hair with bleached highlights to dark brown, no problem. Just bought the same kind of dye I always do and went for it. Once it started to fade you could still see my highlights a little, but over time they faded.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Thanks I haven't done anything to my hair in a year but besides the massive roots I have it is almost all super blonde on top.

I thought it would be easy just color and go and then I googled it and green this green that and now I am like waaaah I wanted to dye it today! Lol

Quoting cfcf:

Also, bleach blonde hair tends to be more porous from over processing. If you've recently bleached your hair the hair cuticle will be open more allowing for color to absorb quickly. Get a shade or too lighter than you want. If its not dark enough you could awkward go darker. It's a lot harder to lift you hair color at home than it is to darken.

cfcf
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM
, I went to edit that reply because of the typos and ended up completely changing the response. It's been a while since I went blonde to brown so I gave you a few more pointers.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks I haven't done anything to my hair in a year but besides the massive roots I have it is almost all super blonde on top.

I thought it would be easy just color and go and then I googled it and green this green that and now I am like waaaah I wanted to dye it today! Lol

Quoting cfcf:

Also, bleach blonde hair tends to be more porous from over processing. If you've recently bleached your hair the hair cuticle will be open more allowing for color to absorb quickly. Get a shade or too lighter than you want. If its not dark enough you could awkward go darker. It's a lot harder to lift you hair color at home than it is to darken.

cfcf
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM
I'd go for it. By coloring it brown you are adding pigment back. If it looks green get a warm brown and color it again.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting cfcf:

supercarp
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Dark covers light much more easily than the other way around, but get an ash tone so that you don't get orange highlights.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN