Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I SLEEP WITH MY BABY IN MY BED!!

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 4:56 PM
  • 74 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Do you sleep with your baby/toddler in your bed?

Options:

Yes, always!

Yes, occasionally.

Only when they're sick or scared.

No, crib has always worked.

No way! That's careless and dangerous!!! :(

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 105

View Results

This is a biiiiig contriversal thing. I've slept with my daughter in MY BED (a futon) since the day she was born. I've never ever rolled over on her, she always sleeps on her side (towards me) or on her back, my arm under her neck. We're comfortable, and both of us sleep good and long (and for night feedings, neither of us really have to totally wake up, so it's simple to go back to sleep)! If the blankets bother her face, she pushes them away or kicks her feeet  until I move them for her. Also, it's so peaceful. There's nothing like waking up to my beautiful girls' smile in the morning! And after daycare, etc. I only get to spend 3-4 hours a day with my sweetie before it's bedtime! (and usually not even 3-4 hours. She gets home at 5pm and goes to sleep at 8pm at the very latest). We're so comfortable together. When I roll over, I gently roll her over my chest first and into my other arm, she never even stirs! I love it. I have TRIED putting her into a crib at night, but not only does SHE hate how big, cold, scary, and alone it is, but she only sleeps for 15 minutes at the most in it. Also, when she wakes up, she gets scared and screams right away (as always whenever she realizes she's completely alone). Not to mention, my bed feels cold and... just WRONG without her. I won't force her to sleep in a crib. Some days I might put her in there if I'm off somewhere (won't happen often), but most of the time we're both happier with her safe and sound in my bed. I think co-sleeping or bed-sharing, whatever you wanna call it, is natural just like breastfeeding and baby wearing. I don't think it's spoiling my babes. If she doesn't know how to self soothe, than how can she sit by herself for an hour or so during the day? She CAN fall asleep without me, but I won't MAKE her. That's mean:( and I'll happily share my bed with my little girl until the day she doesn't want to anymore (with her little personality, by one she'll probably be like "I want a big girl bed Mommy!!"). So there it is. Complain all you want, say whatever you want about how bad and dangerous it is to sleep with my baby girl. It's worked for many families, and what did they do before cribs? Babies sure didn't sleep in the middle of a floor! Anyway, so yeah. And for those babies who have died because of this, know that I never take drugs or alcohol or medicine. Nothing sleep enhancing or affecting my sleep. And even dreaming, I'm aware that she's there. Always. It's my mommy instinct:) And at daycare she'll sleep in a crib just fine, so I see nothing wrong with this arrangement.

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

my son slept in our room and in bed with us on and off from day one. He just started sleeping in his own bed all night long a year ago at the age of four. 

echoedsentiment
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I had one of these for all three of my kids. They all co-slept with me in my bed sleeping in this. I always made sure to have my bed pressed tightly against the wall so I wouldn't push them off the side. These things are flippin awesome for co-sleeping and even have a small night light at the head of it that is very soft. It helped me see in the dark too for those late night wakeup calls. I think co-sleeping is very important because we with animal instincts, are natural co-sleepers with our family.

QueenAtargatis
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:03 PM
We're a co-sleeping family, too! Love snuggles!!! =]
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:03 PM

All 3 of mine have slept in our bed till they were sleeping through the night, at about 16 months.

3MusketeerMama
by EmmaRye Pie on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I don't see a problem with it but just be sure that the blankets are not up that high that they cover her face. They should be no higher than your waist. I am currently bed sharing with my eight month old and bed shared with my last daughter for six months so I won't judge. But please do it safely. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this
She is adorable. We usually co-sleep too. My ds is 6 weeks. I will put him in his bassinette when he falls asleep and usually about 10 minutes later he is screaming. There have been about 5 times since he was born he will sleep in his bassinette and I will continue to put him in but if he wants to sleep with me I am fine with it :-)
norwgnwood
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Its only natural... :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frzmamaof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:08 PM
I have four children and the oldest three have always slept in the bed with dh and I. Our youngest 11 months, has always slept in the crib.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bex55
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Me too. I can't imagine putting my baby in a crib in his room. How sad and lonely.
babyspots17
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I have co-slept with all 3 of my kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)