Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do 2-parent working families

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 78 Replies
1 mom liked this

manage the household without having the kids pitch in?

We couldn't do it. My sons are 5 and 7, and they contribute a lot. Their help is invaluable.

They are responsible for watering plants, managing all of their backpack and lunchbox packing and unpacking, keeping their toys and laundry picked up and put in the right places, cooking tasks (like peeling garlic, tearing lettuce for salads, washing vegetables, picking basil or cilantro), getting the mail, cleaning the bathroom mirrors, handling all self-care stuff, emptying the dishwasher, helping to set and clear the table etc etc. They really do a lot, and it helps!

How do busy families even live, if everyone isn't pulling their weight to the best of their ability?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thetrollcat
by Meow on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I work, he works, I go to school on top of it and we still manage to do our adult duties. The kids are responsible for their own bedrooms, bathroom, and picking up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Both DH and I work. Our girls are in cheer, dance, math club and a few other things. DH works long hours, the house work, yard work, kids, laundry, pet care all fall on me. I work four days a week, still full time I just work longer hours those days. My kids don't have time to really help. I just stay super organized and if something doesn't get done its not the end of the world. Am I tired, extremely but that's just life.

AJsMom81507
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM

housekeeper, gardeners who come once a week, and do snow cleanup as well, take out or pre-made meals for the week.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I'm taking a leave of absence from school this semester, but that's ordinarily us too. Do you have your kids take care of any things that aren't "theirs", but belong to the family or home?

Quoting thetrollcat:

I work, he works, I go to school on top of it and we still manage to do our adult duties. The kids are responsible for their own bedrooms, bathroom, and picking up.

mstricey
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:04 PM
We clean up after ourselves and deep clean on our off days. Pretty simple. We dont have any pets and we live in an apartment so no yard work.
furbabymum
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:05 PM

We are partners. Plus I don't freak out about cleanliness. So we manage working, raising kids, 3 dogs and a farm of sorts just fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:05 PM

You rock. My kids only have activities twice a week and most things fall on me as well. I'm not used to letting so much go. When they were babies I was a SAHM, and then worked part-time for a while.

Quoting Anonymous:

Both DH and I work. Our girls are in cheer, dance, math club and a few other things. DH works long hours, the house work, yard work, kids, laundry, pet care all fall on me. I work four days a week, still full time I just work longer hours those days. My kids don't have time to really help. I just stay super organized and if something doesn't get done its not the end of the world. Am I tired, extremely but that's just life.

Nicoles2LilRams
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:06 PM

My 7yo is great with vacuuming, sometimes loading the dishwasher, putting away his and his brother's folded laundry and hanging their shirts, the 3yo brings me the dishes from the table, helps feed the cat and kinda sorta helps his brother clean their room. 

crazymom21
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Pure awesomeness, of course.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:06 PM

There's far more to it than cleaning..

What do your kids do to help?

Quoting mstricey:

We clean up after ourselves and deep clean on our off days. Pretty simple.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)