Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you really understand obamacare....please open.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
I am confused about this affordable care act. I'm a fairly intelligent person but I don't really understand what the hell it is!!! I know you can opt out for the first year but after that, there is no out. If I choose to purchase insurance through a company like blue cross, is that considered part of obamacare? I know the prices people have been paying for existing coverage is going up. im so confused. Please explain.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Do you CURRENTLY have medical insurance?

mhaney03
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I have a lot of these same questions but it seems you get different answers everywhere

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:40 PM
No. Dh was laid off and we lost our insurance. We are now getting back on our feet and need to purchase insurance. He is now self employed and so it looks like it's going to cost a fortune to purchase coverage for our family.

Quoting Anonymous:Do you CURRENTLY have medical insurance?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM
It's so confusing.

Quoting mhaney03:

I have a lot of these same questions but it seems you get different answers everywhere

sissy502
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I wish I understood it..... I can't tell fact from fiction where Obamacare is concerned.

I don't have health ins ... I do have a discount program much like a pharmacy discount except it covers medical treatment, x-rays, meds, surgery... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Is that still going to be valid?

Quoting sissy502:

I wish I understood it..... I can't tell fact from fiction where Obamacare is concerned.

I don't have health ins ... I do have a discount program much like a pharmacy discount except it covers medical treatment, x-rays, meds, surgery... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM
If you purchase health insurance, like blue cross there are several different components of "obamacare".

- That insurance will have to offer several things (maternity coverage, well child exams, preventative health tests/check ups dependent on your age, and lots of other stuff). Many of these things were not included in health insurance (especially private insurance) before

- You can't be denied coverage for pre-existing conditions

...listing all the ways health insurance plans will have (or have) changed will take awhile. Do you have specific questions? Obamacare really boils down to the government changing how Insurance companies/employers offer health insurance, helping people pay for plans, not letting people be denied coverage, and helping people be screwed a little less (depending on how you view the governments involvement).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

No. Dh was laid off and we lost our insurance. We are now getting back on our feet and need to purchase insurance. He is now self employees and so it looks like it's going to cost a fortune to purchase coverage for our family.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you CURRENTLY have medical insurance?

This was made for you. If he earns under 400% of poverty level-you will be entitled to subsidies-IF your state is set up and ready. In fact if you are making less-you will likely qualify for medicaid.

4. Will Obamacare be available in every state?
Some of it will, some of it won’t. The insurance marketplaces, and the subsidies that go along with them, will be available in every state and the District of Columbia. But the Medicaid expansion, which serves people making less than 133 percent of the federal poverty line ($31,322 for a family of four), was made optional by the Supreme Court. As of now, only 26 states are likely to participate in it come January.
What makes this particularly troublesome for the law (and, more to the point, for the uninsured) is that there are no subsidies for private insurance for people making less than the poverty line. So if you’re poor and in a state that hasn’t accepted the Medicaid expansion, you’re out of luck.
5. Who gets insurance through the program?

Here's the biggest thing to know about Obamacare: Most people will never notice it.
If you get health insurance through your employer or the government -- as 80 percent of Americans do -- it's very unlikely that you'll interact with Obamacare's coverage expansion at all. (There are other provisions in Obamacare, like some of the efforts to improve care quality or cut health-care costs, that could affect you. But that's not the core of the law or the part that's starting Tuesday.)
Obamacare mostly matters most for the 20 percent of Americans who are either uninsured or get insurance on the individual (or "non-group") market. Anyone in those groups can get insurance through Obamacare. Those who make more than the federal poverty line, but less than four times the poverty line ($94,200 for a family of four), can buy subsidized insurance on the marketplaces. Those making less than 133 percent of the poverty line, and living in a state that has accepted the Medicaid expansion, can get Medicaid.
The Congressional Budget Office expects that the Affordable Care Act will cover about 14 million of the uninsured in 2014 and 25 million by the end of the decade. That still leaves about 30 million people uninsured. More on them here.
6. If I already have health insurance, do I have to care about this?
Probably not. The truth of Obamacare is that it mostly affects the uninsured and people who don’t have employer-based or government-based health insurance. That’s a relatively small fraction of the population, even though we often talk about the law as if it affects everyone.
7. Are there death panels?
No.
8. But I wanted death panels.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Obamacare:

If.you don't have insurance you will be able to log on and look up different plans for you and your family.

Some states are offering Medicaid type plans for qualifying families
If you have insurance you can keep your own

However by 2014 everyone has to have some form of health insurance or pay a tax fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM
What state are you in?

Quoting Anonymous:

No. Dh was laid off and we lost our insurance. We are now getting back on our feet and need to purchase insurance. He is now self employed and so it looks like it's going to cost a fortune to purchase coverage for our family.

Quoting Anonymous:Do you CURRENTLY have medical insurance?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN