Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this normal for a 4 year old boy?!?

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM
  • 227 Replies
1 mom liked this
Ss will be 5 in december. he cries hysterically over very small things. Tonight, we told the kids to pick up their toys. Both kids left some toys out. Dh put them in the bag where toys that get left out go And hid them in the closet.

Ss was crying so hard that I thought he was going to hyperventilate. His little sister- 14 months younger*****dd is 3 1/2**** - ended up with twice as many toys in the bag. She helped dh carry the bags downstairs to the closet and never even whined. Just apologized a couple times and said she would take better care of her stuff from now on.

I'm just curious if him being so overly emotional is normal? Dh thinks its a bit odd and I'm telling him it's ok and that some kids are just more emotional than others... But I honestly don't know
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Lol, my ds is 5 now and went through a similar stage. It passes and I think it's normal. He doesn't do it anymore. And this was a kid who never threw a fit about anything... He was just suddenly so emotional one day!
Mommie_2_Boys
by Steph on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM
My 7 year old has always been like 5this. Hes very emotional
libramoon007
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I have a girl and everything emotional with her. Yes it is normal. 

dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Really??? It's driving me crazy. It's like he thinks he can get out of following the rules and listening by crying ...

Quoting Snapdragon88:

Lol, my ds is 5 now and went through a similar stage. It passes and I think it's normal. He doesn't do it anymore. And this was a kid who never threw a fit about anything... He was just suddenly so emotional one day!
dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:25 PM
I'm not used to it at all!!! Lol. It just suddenly started about a month ago, and we don't have any idea what's causing it.

Quoting libramoon007:

I have a girl and everything emotional with her. Yes it is normal. 

dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM
What do you do to work with him? Is there a way that you've been able to show him to express himself without crying ?

The part that bugs me is that it's just started recently. And it's when he's told to do something- like he thinks he can get out of it by crying

Quoting Mommie_2_Boys:

My 7 year old has always been like 5this. Hes very emotional
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM
I have an emotional 5 yr old boy....sensitive like his mama!
KatieFlower
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM
4 moms liked this
I think its a phase. My now 6 yr old when through a time period when he was acting like a drama queen. Just let him know whether he cries or not he still has responsibilities he needs to take care of
Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:31 PM
4 moms liked this
Well definitely don't let him get away with that. Let him know you understand that he's upset, but he still has to do what he was asked. I just validated my son's feelings while simultaneously reminding him to be a big boy. I also made sure to recognize when he handled something in a good way by saying something like, "Wow! You're acting like such a big boy. Good job, buddy." And when he was acting like a baby I'd leave the room and tell him I'd come back when he could act right. I usually worked, and now it's just a memory! Lol

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Really??? It's driving me crazy. It's like he thinks he can get out of following the rules and listening by crying ...

Quoting Snapdragon88:

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup my son is the same way he will be 5 in November.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)