Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How many are living paycheck to paycheck?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 171 Replies
6 moms liked this
If the shutdown effects you, and you miss a check, would you not be able to pay your bills? I would like to say that it wouldn't effect me, that we have enough money to carry us thru a few months, but I swear, things always come up, like car repairs and illnesses and we just cant get money saved.

We dont have expensive cars, waste money, but our living expenses are 4000 a month. We would be in serious trouble if a check was missed. Well, DH's check. I have been on and out of work for 10 years.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:23 AM
3 moms liked this

We do, but neither of us have anything to go with the federal government as far as jobs.

Whenever life gets tough I just remember this..

The Water Temple.

sunrisekn
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:24 AM
4 moms liked this

The shutdown doesn't effect me, but I can see how one missed paycheck makes a difference.

Punchyobuns
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Luckily the soldiers are getting paid so we don't need to worry. We could miss maybe two pay days but any more than that and we'd start really struggling. We live on base though, and it's a small island that's mostly military, so I think we'd all help each other.

2Sparrows4ever
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Quoting sunrisekn:

The shutdown doesn't effect me, but I can see how one missed paycheck makes a difference.

mcginnisc
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:26 AM

We do not live paycheck to paycheck...Dh does not work for the government and I'm a SAHM. 

Our vehicles are paid off,cc are paid off monthly, kids' tuition for school and karate are paid a year in advance, so all we really have are utilities, groceries and gas for my van since Dh works from home and doesn't drive very much anymore. We have money in investments, savings, etc so we could survive for a while...

IF Dh were still in the USAF and made what he did 15 years ago when he was in, we'd be screwed though. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:27 AM
We are military also. So thankful to see the pay in the bank this morning. We live off base though. We always struggle with whats a better way to live.

Quoting Punchyobuns:

Luckily the soldiers are getting paid so we don't need to worry. We could miss maybe two pay days but any more than that and we'd start really struggling. We live on base though, and it's a small island that's mostly military, so I think we'd all help each other.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this
We would be hurting pretty bad almost right away. We could MAYBE cover one months expenses. Dh is retired army due to injury so he gets retirement and ssdi. He is also attending school and using the GI bill. I'm just starting looking for work after a long distance move while I was 7 months,pregnant then having Ds 8 weeks ago. I should be able to find something quickly as long as I'm not too picky. I've seen a lot of now hiring signs around town. It won't be in my chosen career field but I'm worried dh's income could be compromised and I'll take any job at this point.
ForeverInLove
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:36 AM

We are paycheck too paycheck. We do not work in gvmnt. nak

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:39 AM
2 moms liked this
I wish you luck in your job search and I will pray things work out for you. Thanks to your husband for his loyal selfless service.

Quoting Anonymous:

We would be hurting pretty bad almost right away. We could MAYBE cover one months expenses. Dh is retired army due to injury so he gets retirement and ssdi. He is also attending school and using the GI bill. I'm just starting looking for work after a long distance move while I was 7 months,pregnant then having Ds 8 weeks ago. I should be able to find something quickly as long as I'm not too picky. I've seen a lot of now hiring signs around town. It won't be in my chosen career field but I'm worried dh's income could be compromised and I'll take any job at this point.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Normally we would have more of a cushion but after the summer furloughs and some expensive, but necessary, home and car repairs...we are pretty tapped out :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)