Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I hate being inconvenienced. (vent)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

I need to vent for a second.

We rent and have pretty awesome landlords except for the fact that our fridge has been broken for the last 10 months. The tube that runs from the ice maker to the sink's water line has a hole in it. It caused massive flooding in our kitchen floor and ruined the floor, the landlords will have to replace it eventually. It also ruined our towels that we had to use to soak up the water plus I had to mop the floor several times a day to keep it up. I couldn't cook at my stove without standing in water or on a soaked towel. It was ridiculous. They do bi-monthly inspections and whenever they come to collect rent we tell them. We've texted, called, and they were very well informed about the issue and even came in and saw it a few months ago. Never did anything about it. DH finally got behind there and tied the tube off and turned the ice maker off so that the water would stop, which stopped the leak. We don't have ice but we never really use the ice anyway so whatever. I'm fine without it as long as there's no more water in my way. Well last night around 8 pm I get a text saying "So and So repair will be there tomorrow between 9 and 9:30 am."

That gives me less than 12 hours notice, and I have important appointments today that I cannot miss. I told the landlord this and asked if they can reschedule to Thursday since I will be home and available. She gave me attitude but said she'd "see what she can do". Never heard back so I've been up, sick and cleaning up expecting these people to come. She emails me about 15 minutes ago and said she left a message for them but they haven't called her back.

After 10 months of telling these people we have an issue they decide to fix it at a last minutes notice? Thanks but no thanks, DH took care of it. I have decided that since she did inform them that today is not a good day that I am locking up all the doors and closing the shades and just saying "fuck it". I have things to do and that is NOT on my schedule today.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wymama610
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:30 AM
You let water leak all over for that long before shutting it off?!

This is why I would never rent to people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smartfish
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:31 AM

depending on the state you live in you could have withhold the rent till the fixed it.

christina0607
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:32 AM

This was my first though too. 

Quoting wymama610:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:32 AM

DH couldn't find the problem at first and we kept hoping they would fix it. He had wiggled the tube and did something to it awhile back and it stopped for about a 6 weeks so we thought the problem was fixed, but then started back again. 

Quoting wymama610:

Birdseed
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:34 AM

They could let the workers in though, right?  I mean, our landlords still have keys to the house.  I personally would try to make arrangements to get the work done.  Not saying you have to miss your appts, but I would try to accommodate getting things fixed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:37 AM

They won't be here. They both have day jobs they cannot leave. We see them once a month for rent and that's on the weekend and bi-monthly for the inspection.

I have no way to accomodate a last minute deal. I am 9 months pregnant and have a doctor appointment today that I cannot miss. I also have several other important things to do today and tomorrow. I am free Thursday and Friday. She should of asked when I was available this week knowing that she could not be here to let them in and that I could possibly be busy.

Quoting Birdseed:

They could let the workers in though, right?  I mean, our landlords still have keys to the house.  I personally would try to make arrangements to get the work done.  Not saying you have to miss your appts, but I would try to accommodate getting things fixed.

Krysta784
by Dani on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:40 AM
It's not a renter's responsibility to search for the source of the leak. It's the landlord's responsibility to send the repair guys out to fix it in a timely manner.

When we first moved into our house, we paid the deposit to turn the water on. The guy came out and said we had a leak somewhere. We called THAT day to report what he had said to the landlord.

It took them a MONTH to get the guys out to fix it. In that month our water bill was over $300! We called the water company and explained that the owners of the home didn't fix the leak in a timely manner and we weren't allowed to pay for our own repair per the terms of our lease and the company waived some of the bill but we still paid more than we should have. The landlord should have paid that bill since they were the ones who took their time on the repair.

Then we got hit three months later with the sewage bill that was about $600. We pay sewage every three months here and the leak affected that bill too.

OP, I hope you don't have the same issues with your bills due to negligent owners.

Quoting wymama610:

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Why didn't you just turn the water off?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:41 AM

We are in the city limits so our water is free, but I can only imagine the bill if it wasn't.

Quoting Krysta784:

It's not a renter's responsibility to search for the source of the leak. It's the landlord's responsibility to send the repair guys out to fix it in a timely manner.

When we first moved into our house, we paid the deposit to turn the water on. The guy came out and said we had a leak somewhere. We called THAT day to report what he had said to the landlord.

It took them a MONTH to get the guys out to fix it. In that month our water bill was over $300! We called the water company and explained that the owners of the home didn't fix the leak in a timely manner and we weren't allowed to pay for our own repair per the terms of our lease and the company waived some of the bill but we still paid more than we should have. The landlord should have paid that bill since they were the ones who took their time on the repair.

Then we got hit three months later with the sewage bill that was about $600. We pay sewage every three months here and the leak affected that bill too.

OP, I hope you don't have the same issues with your bills due to negligent owners.

Quoting wymama610:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:43 AM

For the last goddamn time, we didn't know where the water leak was coming from at first. DH had looked with a flashlight and all, and thought it was coming from under the fridge. He couldn't get to that. Finally he just moved the fridge out completely and worked on it. He didn't fix the problem, nor should he of had to, but he tied off the tube that had the hole in it.

As another poster said it is not our responsibility, it is the landlords.

Quoting JamesMom714:

Why didn't you just turn the water off?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)