Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I hate being inconvenienced. (vent)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I need to vent for a second.

We rent and have pretty awesome landlords except for the fact that our fridge has been broken for the last 10 months. The tube that runs from the ice maker to the sink's water line has a hole in it. It caused massive flooding in our kitchen floor and ruined the floor, the landlords will have to replace it eventually. It also ruined our towels that we had to use to soak up the water plus I had to mop the floor several times a day to keep it up. I couldn't cook at my stove without standing in water or on a soaked towel. It was ridiculous. They do bi-monthly inspections and whenever they come to collect rent we tell them. We've texted, called, and they were very well informed about the issue and even came in and saw it a few months ago. Never did anything about it. DH finally got behind there and tied the tube off and turned the ice maker off so that the water would stop, which stopped the leak. We don't have ice but we never really use the ice anyway so whatever. I'm fine without it as long as there's no more water in my way. Well last night around 8 pm I get a text saying "So and So repair will be there tomorrow between 9 and 9:30 am."

That gives me less than 12 hours notice, and I have important appointments today that I cannot miss. I told the landlord this and asked if they can reschedule to Thursday since I will be home and available. She gave me attitude but said she'd "see what she can do". Never heard back so I've been up, sick and cleaning up expecting these people to come. She emails me about 15 minutes ago and said she left a message for them but they haven't called her back.

After 10 months of telling these people we have an issue they decide to fix it at a last minutes notice? Thanks but no thanks, DH took care of it. I have decided that since she did inform them that today is not a good day that I am locking up all the doors and closing the shades and just saying "fuck it". I have things to do and that is NOT on my schedule today.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Replies (21-27):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Unfortunately we cannot move out anytime soon, we are stuck here.

Quoting Anonymous:

u let the problem go on for 10 mos?! I would be demanding my deposit money back and move out after 2months

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I have to ask, why did it take you 10 months to turn off the ice machine and tie off the pip yourself?

christina0607
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:01 AM

You never thought of it, thats the whole point. You should be treating the home as if it's yours and put a little thought into it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

We knew it was coming from the fridge (at first we thought it was the sink but figured out it wasn't that) but did not know where. We never even thought to check the ice maker until DH pulled the entire fridge out.

Quoting christina0607:

She knew where the leak was coming from, it was coming from the fridge. She said that in the op. 

Renters have to take reasonable measures to ensure that they do not ruin the home when repairs need to be made. A reasonable measure here would be to pull the fridge out and shut the ice maker off. 

Quoting Krysta784:

You must be the type of landlord that would let your tennants fall responsible for a $300 water bill while you take your time getting the leak fixed. Real winners, your type.

If she didn't know where the leak was coming from, how was she supposed to fix it? She said herself that it took a while AFTER they first reported it for them to determine where it was coming from! And she doesn't own the home and presumably has a lease contract that stated repair procedures and it's NOT HER RESPONSIBILITY!

Quoting wymama610:

I'm sorry, it's common sense (at least to those of us with a brain) to try and stop water from leaking, especially if it's so bad you are trying to cook in a puddle. In a kitchen I would hope an able bodied adult would be able to figure out how to disconnect a leaking hose from a fridge. Wow.

Quoting Krysta784:

It's not a renter's responsibility to search for the source of the leak. It's the landlord's responsibility to send the repair guys out to fix it in a timely manner.

When we first moved into our house, we paid the deposit to turn the water on. The guy came out and said we had a leak somewhere. We called THAT day to report what he had said to the landlord.

It took them a MONTH to get the guys out to fix it. In that month our water bill was over $300! We called the water company and explained that the owners of the home didn't fix the leak in a timely manner and we weren't allowed to pay for our own repair per the terms of our lease and the company waived some of the bill but we still paid more than we should have. The landlord should have paid that bill since they were the ones who took their time on the repair.

Then we got hit three months later with the sewage bill that was about $600. We pay sewage every three months here and the leak affected that bill too.

OP, I hope you don't have the same issues with your bills due to negligent owners.

Quoting wymama610:

You let water leak all over for that long before shutting it off?!

This is why I would never rent to people.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:03 AM

BECAUSE WE DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS COMING FROM THE ICE MACHINE.

I cannot physically pull a fridge out and look for the problem, DH was gone all summer on business (from May until August) and he fixed it when he got back. I didnt put in my post because I didn't think it'd matter, but he fixed it at the end of August and we haven't had an issue with it since. They just decide now is a great itme to come.

The issue isn't how long it took DH to fix a problem that wasn't his to fix, the issue is that it took them this long to do something about it and they gave me less than 24 hours notice about it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have to ask, why did it take you 10 months to turn off the ice machine and tie off the pip yourself?

Schmoopi
by QueenOfAllThings on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:10 AM

You can pay your rent into an escrow account through the courts until the problem is fixed. Be warned though, the proper channels MUST be followed or you'll face eviction. 

wymama610
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
So you let it leak for 3 months without doing anything? Why were you not blowing their phone up every 5 minutes? Holy crap. There are other resources to call too if you can't get ahold of your landlord.

Quoting Anonymous:

I cannot physically pull a fridge out and look for the problem, DH was gone all summer on business (from May until August) and he fixed it when he got back. I didnt put in my post because I didn't think it'd matter, but he fixed it at the end of August and we haven't had an issue with it since. They just decide now is a great itme to come.

The issue isn't how long it took DH to fix a problem that wasn't his to fix, the issue is that it took them this long to do something about it and they gave me less than 24 hours notice about it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I find it funny, you couldn't pull a fridge out to see? How do you clean behind it? Second, yeah it was shitty of them to wait so long, but now your bitching they want to come fix and it isn't the right time for you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)