Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I being unreasonable?? I'm open to the truth.. My step daughters birthday

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 116 Replies

I am pregnant. I am due on November 2nd.

My husband has a daughter from a previous relationship. Her birthday is November 9th.

His daughter's mother moved to another state. My husband did NOTHING to stop her, even tho' he was opposed to it. He did not even respond to her intent to relocate. Not because he didn't want to - but because he was too lazy to do anything about it. 

She lives 6 hours away.

So on her birthday, I'm either going to have a brand new baby or I'm going to be over due.

He wants to go visit for her birthday, and spend the weekend down there. He expects me to go for this trip.

Now if the baby is already born, I am not opposed to him going for the weekend, and even taking my older son with him, but who wants to spend a weekend in a hotel with a brand new baby - not I, that's for sure.

If the baby is not born, I would really rather he stay with me, instead of being 6 hours away from me.I do not want to travel 6 hours from my doctor, if I am a week over due.

He's upset and thinks that I should go either way.

Am I being unreasonable? This being a step mom stuff is tricky. I don't want to keep him from his daughter on her birthday, but I think in this instance, extenuating circumstances come into play..

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:32 AM
3 moms liked this

I think in this case, he'd give you some leeway. Maybe she sould come see you and the new baby.. that makes sense.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:32 AM
I'm with you. How old will SD be?
momof6nokc
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:34 AM
6 moms liked this

Think about this situation NOT as a SM, but as a soon-to-be mother who needs to care for herself and her baby. 

If you didn't have a SD would you ever DREAM of traveling 6 hours on your due date?  OF COURSE NOT!  I'm fairly certain your doctor won't even allow it. 

When I hit the 35 week mark my doctor told me I couldn't travel more than an hour by car---I was a traveling therapist at the time.  He simply said it was too long sitting and it was too far away. 

Your husband will need to visit his daughter on another weekend or risk missing the birth of his next child.  YOU should be doing nothing but relaxing at this point.

mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't be going, and my dh wouldn't ask me too.
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:35 AM
That's a really tough situation.
If baby is here, a weekend in the hotel will be fine.
If baby is not, stay home. And if he goes, he needs to have a one way ticket to fly back home on standby.

My dh went out of the country when I was 40 weeks. But I knew in an.emergency he could be by my side in 2 hours flat.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:35 AM

She will be 6 -

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm with you. How old will SD be?

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:36 AM
15 moms liked this
I wouldn't have children with a 'man' who was too lazy to do anything for his own child...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mena929
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:37 AM
If you haven't had the baby yet your doctor will advise you not to go.
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Hes being unreasonable, not you. There's no way I would go.
mommadana
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:38 AM
I love my DSDs but DH knows that there's no way I'm gonna be able to sit for 6 hours really pregnant and not hafta stop every 15 mins to pee or just walk.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)