Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need all you ladies that are good at designing a house please :) *pics*

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 11:00 AM
  • 18 Replies

Ok so excuse the mess, we are in the middle of moving in. But I'm wondering what in the world should I do with this living room??? Of course the orange has GOT to go. I already know that I want to paint the kitchen a red with possibly a wall with wallpaper as an accent wall (was thinking the wall with the double doors) But I have no clue when it comes to the living room. As you can tell I suck at decor bc all my decor is a mix match of all kinds of stuff that I like lol. But I'm wanting to do this right this time. Which means I'll have to buy stuff over time to have an actual scheme going on lol. So any ideas? And please pay no attention to the mess we literally are in the process of moving in, like we started yesterday lol.

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anon71
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM

If it were me, I would paint all the walls that brownish color for cohesiveness.  Then, for accent, you could paint your kitchen backsplash wall red.  I am not a fan of wallpaper.  From a decorating sense, painting everything one color is much easier to work with.  Then you add pops of color, perhaps colors pulled from your rug, to each room.  Just my 2 cents.

supermama322
by Kaylee on Oct. 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Hmmmm that's so tough! I've never seen a layout like that before! Are you wanting to paint everything or just the orange?

mama_of_tw0
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Yeah I actually thought of that, because I'm not a fan of painting, but I really want something different and want some kind of seperation from the two rooms in stead of them being the same color lol. 

Quoting anon71:

If it were me, I would paint all the walls that brownish color for cohesiveness.  Then, for accent, you could paint your kitchen backsplash wall red.  I am not a fan of wallpaper.  From a decorating sense, painting everything one color is much easier to work with.  Then you add pops of color, perhaps colors pulled from your rug, to each room.  Just my 2 cents.

mama_of_tw0
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Well I'm wanting to paint everything. I mean I like the brown in the kitchen but I really want to paint it red, bc I have the wine theme for my kitchen. For my living room I'm thinking on the lines of a grey or green. But not the basic green or grey color, its hard to explain what shade they are, I'd have to show you lol. I love dark colors but since the room is on the smaller side I don't want to make it seem smaller. 

Quoting supermama322:

Hmmmm that's so tough! I've never seen a layout like that before! Are you wanting to paint everything or just the orange?

Scarlettsecret
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I would go with a taupe walls in the living room except the wall behind the Tv I would do a red like in the rug with accents in colors from the rug to pull it all in together

Goodbye.BlueSky
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:32 AM

If I were painting my kitchen red and doing an accent wall, I'd do black and white for the accent wall. If it's a wall that doesn't have much wall space...like a wall with double doors...you can get away with a busy pattern.

Then, I'd probably do gray walls in the livingroom, using black and white and pops of red as accents in the room.

I'm not a fan of red, really...more of a teal person. lol

ETA: But then you'd need a different rug for the livingroom.

mama_of_tw0
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:38 AM

That's what I was actually considering. I wanted to put black and white demask style wallpaper and put it on the wall with the double doors. I really like the green in the living room but I don't really like the idea of green and red together. So I saw a few shades of grey I liked that I thought would go really good. On that half wall that seperates the kitchen and living room, I was thinking of using a stencil and make painting a pattern on there too with white paint on top of the grey, do you think that would be to much? 

Quoting Goodbye.BlueSky:

If I were painting my kitchen red and doing an accent wall, I'd do black and white for the accent wall. If it's a wall that doesn't have much wall space...like a wall with double doors...you can get away with a busy pattern.

Then, I'd probably do gray walls in the livingroom, using black and white and pops of red as accents in the room.

mama_of_tw0
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Oh and I know for sure I'd have to get a new rug haha.

Quoting Goodbye.BlueSky:

anon71
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM

It's your house, do what you like!  I wouldn't do a dark color in that space, but this is coming from someone who is a reformed habitual painter and I learned a long time ago that as much as I love color, it's much easier to change out accents than whole walls.  LOL! 

You can go to Lowes or Home Depot and get those little pots of paint and just bring them home, paint some blocks on the walls and see what works with your lighting, decor, etc.  There are a lot of online paint apps you can access to see what differnet colors look good together, show rooms, etc. and you can upload pics of your own rooms on some of them.

supermama322
by Kaylee on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:50 AM
You should consider a damask stencil for your feature wall! Wayyyy cheaper and easier than wallpaper!

Quoting mama_of_tw0:

That's what I was actually considering. I wanted to put black and white demask style wallpaper and put it on the wall with the double doors. I really like the green in the living room but I don't really like the idea of green and red together. So I saw a few shades of grey I liked that I thought would go really good. On that half wall that seperates the kitchen and living room, I was thinking of using a stencil and make painting a pattern on there too with white paint on top of the grey, do you think that would be to much? 

Quoting Goodbye.BlueSky:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured