Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

apparently my special needs child is just manipulative? uh... updated

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:51 PM
  • 47 Replies
Says his principle. Same school that has lost him twice he is five and in kindergarten. He is autistic. The other day he headed butted a girl in the nose. The principe calls me telling me if he is aggressive again they will just send him home. Absolutely do not condone what he did. The girl was behind him, he had space issues and was frustrated and threw his head backward and got her in the nose. Principal didn't even ask why he had done it. Student services said the girl was pushing into him which he hates.

I told them sending him home will be a reward he hates school and is not socially invested so could care less. I suggested they try a negative activity like picking up garbage and she wanted me to go down from work to help them. Twice they have asked me to go help them. They have two EA's as well as the teacher in the room.

Twice they have lost him too. So frustrated! They treat him like he is just bad yet the student services girl says she had never seen a kids with such sensory issues and lack of.self regulation. It's because in some ways he is ahead of his peers academically. So happy to find out she is gone for the year. The woman had no clue.

Update

Had another talk with the SS girl and the problem is my son us on the waitlist for diagnosis by a particular group called IKCAN he has been assessed and diagnosed before but they need this particular on. We found out his ped office neglected to send it in back in may.
Ikcan was supposed to call me when they didnt i called and found this out. But the teacher refuses to take his prior assessments and believe he is autistic. The student services is very frustrated because the teacher is very old school and sees him as bad and nothing more. But the SS badically told her she doesnt care what she thinks my son is autustic and she needs to learn to recognize when he is losing his control and send him to her. I found out that yesterday he spent the entire afternoon sitting in the office. Piss me off. That will not happen again. So his first assessment interview is the 18th he is now top of the list but i might have to drive 8 hours, no problem! So maybe when i have another paper to wave the teacher will syop treating him like he is just bad. Ugh the sad thing is there are two other autistic kids in the room. Curious how their parents are finding the experience.
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandaday
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:54 PM
That school is clearly not equipped to handle or help him. Time to find an alternative for his education and care.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I really have no experience with this but my first reaction to this is that he probably shouldn't be mainstreamed. It sounds as though he's not in the right environment for his needs. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:57 PM
It sounds like you need have a meeting and either make changes to his IEP or change schools. It doesn't seem like they know what they're doing.
tardistraveller
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I used to deal with the same issues when ds was in public school.  Try looking into day treatment schools, the difference is amazing, in both the school and my son's behaviour and academics.

acaisha
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:59 PM
I wish there was one. Its the only school in our area the only private one is the christian obd and it's supper hard to get into and cost money i can't afford and I'm a single parent and work so home schooling isn't an option. Honestly the student services girl is great. She increased time with him they do tons .of OT and body breaks sensory stuff. If it was not for her i would have no faith at all. Schools only been in a month so hoping if stupid is gone for they year thing might go smoother

Quoting mandaday:

That school is clearly not equipped to handle or help him. Time to find an alternative for his education and care.
acaisha
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:00 PM
We have one next Wednesday thank God

Quoting Anonymous:

It sounds like you need have a meeting and either make changes to his IEP or change schools. It doesn't seem like they know what they're doing.
acaisha
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:00 PM
My phone is driving me crazy
acaisha
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:01 PM
I wish there was an alternative :-(

Quoting tardistraveller:

I used to deal with the same issues when ds was in public school.  Try looking into day treatment schools, the difference is amazing, in both the school and my son's behaviour and academics.

tardistraveller
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:03 PM

there is none? That sucks :(

Quoting acaisha:

I wish there was an alternative :-(

Quoting tardistraveller:

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:03 PM

This school is NOT helping at all :( 

I would suggest using k12, my DD does, and she LOVES school so much more now. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)