Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tattoos in the workplace

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Does your work allow you to show your tattoos? If not,d o you think they should?

I personally think they look unprofessional in some enviornments, but in others I think its okay.

I don't think teachers, doctors, vets, psychologist or business people should be showing tattoos.

But hair stylists, plumbers, mechanics, customer service reps, Journalists and cashiers I think its alright.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:29 PM

BUMP!

isaiahbellamom
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:31 PM
I am a housing coord. For a non profit and I have visible tattoos. Am I not professional, I'm sure the formerly homeless families we serve don't care about my tattoos. I love my job and I'm great at it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I think it depends on the tattoo. I don't think they are terribly professional, but they definitely aren't counter-culture anymore, and they don't have the negative stigma (well, most don't. Face and neck tattoos still do, I think). 

However, some tattoos are more appropriate than others for sure. Some are body art, others are just plain trashy. While that is somewhat in the eye of the beholder, I doubt many people would think it's appropriate for a 2nd grade teacher to have a naked woman on his neck or a doctor have something obscene on his knuckles.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I'm the assistant manager in a seasonal Halloween store.

Considering that, yeah, we all show our tattoos.

TheDoctorsWife
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:34 PM
My dress code for work is very very conservative. No visable tats
Brandyns87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM

They're allowed, and most of us have very visible tattoos. We work with disabled people, and the people we work with think they're cool. Tattoos being visible in the workplace is becoming more accepted, and I think that's a good thing. Unless it's a swastika, or some gang symbol I don't see why a tattoo should be covered. 

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM

We're not supposed to have visible tattoos but often times working in the bay people have their blouses off and we can see arm tats. Its allowed in PT uniform but not in dress uniform. As long as it isn't on your face or neck I don't really see how its a problem. Many people in my career field have wedding ring tats since we can't wear jewelry at work.

Anniversary
mama3p
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I'm a teacher and so is my husband, we both have tattoos, it's really quite common here, we don't tend to judge people on their outward appearances, I know people in all of those professions with visible tattoos...nbd...

Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM

My workplace absolutely doesn't care what the hell you look like, as long as you have full-length pants and closed toe shoes (safety precaution). That's the thing with us scientists, if you're brilliant enough, really no one will ever care what you wear or how often you shower.

Personally, I don't think tattoos have anything to do with being professional. I would rather a doctor with two full sleeves who knows what they're doing, than one without tattos who isn't all that good at being a doctor.

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Well, I teach at a community college, that makes me what? A professor? I have visible tattoos and no one cares. When I get more experience teaching, the history department at my Alma Mater wants me.

I also work for a non-profit that supports individuals with intellectual disabilities. One of my superiors complemented my one tattoo last week. The tattoo policy...your outter appearance is no reflection of your inner appearance. 

I mean...my tattoos are in no way an reflection of my intellect or my professionalism. Not to mention, there's things called long sleeves. I have worked in a middle school and we had a casual day...the principal said "Oh you have tattoos?! Whoa! Awesome! I bet the kids like that!"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN