Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you worried about the video games your kids play?

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM
  • 119 Replies

Dad Blames Video Game for His Gun-Toting Son

by Adriana Velez

minecraftWe blame video games for giving kids ADD and making them aggressive, but this is ridiculous. A nine-year-old boy stowed a sledgehammer, a gun, and a knife in his backpack and toted them all to school. When he was caught, his dad blamed the video game Mincraft. In court he promised, no more Minecraft for his son! That stuff's dangerous, obvi.

Really, Dad? You're blaming MINECRAFT, the electronic version of Legos, for your kid bringing a backpack full of weapons? Let's talk about that, shall we?

Okay, how many of you out there have a kid who plays Minecraft? It's a game where kids can create virtual worlds where they build things out of bricks after mining for materials. Or something. I've watched my son play the game several times and he's explained it all to me, but every time he does a little monkey rides a tricycle around and around in my brain and I have a hard time concentrating. Anyway, it's not super violence. Sometimes you have to defend yourself against other creatures, but you use a bow and arrow. There aren't even any guns in Minecraft. (Or knives, or sledgehammers.)

What's more, though, is that most nine-year-olds who play the game, including my son, know better than to try and reenact the game in real life. Most kids that age can distinguish between Minecraft world and real life. Most kids know it's a colossally bad idea to bring WEAPONS to school.

I don't even understand how the kid managed to get a sledgehammer past his parents that morning. Are they sleepwalking through their mornings?

Clearly something is not quite right in this family. The boy doesn't need a break from video games -- he needs counseling, because there's something that's making him feel desperately inadequate at school. And Dad needs to pay a hell of a lot more attention to his son. (At least the gun wasn't operational, which is a relief.) I do know one thing: Banning Minecraft from this kid is SO NOT going to solve what's wrong here.

Are you worried about the video games your kids play?

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM

no my girls rarely play video games.

KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Not really. We research the games first before letting him play them. He mostly sticks with Lego video games and Mario.
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this
We don't allow video games here.
I honestly think most kids are on them too much, especially from.what I see in my family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:10 AM
No, I don't blame video games for violence. My son has his innotab and will ocasially play lego batman with dh
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
That's why kids do not play video games.

Parents are getting so lazy. Get off your ass and monitor what your kid is doing. And for love of all that is holy, follow the damn parental ratings on the games.
pokemongirl0191
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:15 AM
My dd is not even two yet. My so says when shes 3 ish he will teach her to play video games. Like sonic or mario to start. She loves mario. When I play my 3ds and super mario 3d land she wants to watch.
piesmama09
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM

My 8yo DD plays Minecraft at home and if the president of Minecraft Club at school. She would ever bring a weapon to school because after about age four any child should really be able to tell the difference between real life and what happens in games. She's not stupid.

boysrjoys2
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM
We don't allow video games but we are careful about what movies and shows they see.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
They are only allowed to play learning games, I fail to see the need for anything else.
sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Nope.

My kids don't play video games.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)