Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

School Open House - I don't want to go

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM
  • 13 Replies

Tonight is Open House at DD#3's school.  I'll go - but I REALLY don't feel like it.  I have been busy all day and am falling asleep just sitting here.  Also - while my Hebrew has improved A TON since we arrived last year - I still only understand half of what is said.  DD is in high school now and the teachers don't really do hand-outs for the parents....so it isn't like I will get anything to bring home and translate later.

Open House is strange at this school too...it starts with a craft-time, then a short talk as a group with the head-teacher for your daughter, then a group meeting for all parents with the principal in a different room.  I think we'll go late, meet DD's teacher and slip out before the principal thing.  DH and I are going in for a private meeting next week with DD's teacher and the assistant principal (and, maybe, the new principal as well) -- we will be able to get al of our info and questions answered then.

It isn't that we don't care about our daughter's education....quite the opposite....but my brain is already fried and having to translate on-the-fly for a few hours is really going to give me a headache.  :-(

We had Open House last night at our sons' school - DH went to one of the classrooms, I went to the other (no craft-thing at the boys' school).  DH made it to the principal speech the classroom I was in ran really long and no one made it to the principal's thing.  I was so drained by the time we got home....I'm not really excited about a repeat of it all tonight.

it starts in about 25 minutes.  Guess I need to get ready to leave soon.

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Are you just now starting the school year? 

TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM

School started in late August....but with all the fall holidays - they haven't had many days of school (they were off for the entire second half of the month - and for half a week at the beginning of Sept as well).  

So, while school technically started a while ago....it really is only "getting going" now.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Ah. Good luck tonight, I can't even imagine having to translate like that. 

Quoting TableforSeven:

School started in late August....but with all the fall holidays - they haven't had many days of school (they were off for the entire second half of the month - and for half a week at the beginning of Sept as well).  

So, while school technically started a while ago....it really is only "getting going" now.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I just wouldn't go, I'm bad that way, and really hate those things, and I never went once they were in high school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM
I hate going... thankfully I work closely with the school they're attending, and have a good relationship with the principal and teachers so by the time open house has rolled around I usually already know everything they're going to tell us anyways. So I don't go
Firewoman33
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Yuck craft time. I'd be tempted to skip it just for that reason. :)

I think your idea sounds like a good compromise and a better use of your time. 

KGreen75
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I wouldn't go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM
K?....so why go?
gcstar42
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I always enjoy Open House, but ours does not sound anything like yours. Ours is mostly to go see special projects the kids have done and to talk with the teachers now that they have got to know the kids and stuff like that. It only lasts about 30 minutes so its not a huge deal anyways. Yours does sound kind of long and boring lol. And where do you live? Why do you need to know Hebrew?

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)