Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mom Could Lose Custody of 3-Year-Old for Giving Him What He Needed to Put Leukemia in Remission

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM
  • 77 Replies

A mom in Colorado is being investigated by child protective services, all because she has chosen to treat her 3-year-old's cancer with marijuana instead of continuing chemotherapy.

Eight months ago, Landon Riddle was so horribly ill from the chemo being used to battle his leukemia that his mom Sierra says he would "vomit 50 times a day" and was in so much pain she believed it was literally killing him. And that's when she made the decision to stop the chemo altogether.

Sierra moved Landon to Colorado Springs and started him on a treatment of cannabis capsules. And as you will see in this video, Landon went from being a lethargic, sick kid to a child who has boundless energy -- and whose cancer is now in remission.

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM
6 moms liked this

I'm not saying that Maryjane doesn't help the symptoms, it does but it isn't a treatment for anything. It helps manage the side effects of the treatment. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:42 AM

1.  I think she should be investigated.  Chemo is very harsh, and young children and the elderly suffer the most from it.  But chemo is also one of only a few approved methods to treat cancers and certain other illnesses.

2.  I hope nothing bad happens to her for it.  I think it bears investigation because more research needs done on this, and it is important to make sure these decisions are made with all the proper thought and research going into them.  BUT, in the end she did what she felt was right and he is recovering.

OrangeBalloon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM
11 moms liked this

He's a happy and most importantly WELL child. I hope that mom and her child do not suffer because she made the right choice. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

poor little boy

sweetaspie630
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:51 AM
2 moms liked this

If he is in documented remission why would they investigate? It seems simple "Is he still sick because you stopped chemo? No? Okay have a nice day."

KGreen75
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:51 AM
2 moms liked this

This...

As a mom, I would give my kids whatever they needed to feel better. 

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I'm not saying that Maryjane doesn't help the symptoms, it does but it isn't a treatment for anything. It helps manage the side effects of the treatment. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM
2 moms liked this
Don't you get it??
The treatment was the one KIlLING him.
Maybe it doesn't treat it but he will only get sicker on chemo. She made a choice that saved her sons child hood. Sometimes medical treatment just dosen't work and you have to just make someone comfortable not make them feel like they are dying every day of their life.
SnapShotMama
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM
4 moms liked this
I think she is doing the right thing. Cannabis does cure cancer. A woman had stage 4 lung cancer and was Givin 2 wks to live... she's still alive years later and cancer free. she did no chemo at all! It has also been used for a boy with severe autism, and a little girl with severe seizures
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Hopefully they leave her alone.
surromama
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Good for her for. She found a better way to help her son. My friend was stage 4 constantly vomiting or nauseous. The meds they gave her to help did nothing, so they gave her cannabis capsules and it made her feel much better. I hope everything works out for the best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)