Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

GOT A CALL FROM MY SON'S SCHOOL....SO FRUSTRATED!!! EDIT

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 329 Replies
11 moms liked this

OMG I AM GOING FLIP ON MY SON'S SCHOOL!

I got an automated call that my son was absent.  Um no he went out to the bus stop this morning so of course I kind of freaked out!

Tried the school twice, nobody in the office picked up so I just got the machine.  We are down to one car so I couldn't go to the school so of course I'm freaking out more.  I get hold of my DH who thankfully didn't have a meeting w/his Commander & was able to leave & go to the school.

He gets there & thank GOD my son is there.  Apparently his freaking bus was late so he missed part of homeroom & they marked him absent & never changed it.

Yup call my helicopter mom or whatever, but yes it freaked me out.  I get he's in middle school but that doesn't prevent bad things from happening.  I know the bus stop is in our neighborhood but that doesn't prevent things either.  My son is not the skip school type of child, he likes school actually.  So yeah I had to fight off my anxiety from going over the hill & giving me a panic attack!

Stupid freaking school, thanks for the wake up call today! If I wasn't motivated before I am now!

And ok maybe not flip on the school but this teacher I've had issues with since the beginning of school (we start the first week of August) so I'm just over up the little screw ups & the blow off class that is suppose to be there to help prepare them for High School & College.

EDIT: For those saying I shouldn't blame the teacher, sorry but yes I should.

1. Teachers are notified of a late bus so they know not to mark those kids absent until AFTER the bus gets there.  She did not follow this.

2.  My son does not have to go to the office to get checked in bc he was still there for homeroom, notice in my OP I said he only missed PART of homeroom.  They do not check into the office until after homeroom. 

So bc he was in homeroom for 5-10min at least & spoke to the teacher & the teacher knew he was there his name should not have been on the list, he should have been removed.  So while yes a mistake it was HER mistake.

3. No I should not be upset w/the office staff as my son did not have to go check into the office.

4.  Yup I panicked/freaked out a bit, that makes me pretty much a normal parent.  Was I laying here on the floor sobbing? Was I on the phone yelling & screaming? No  Funny how some seem to think that must be how it was.  I couldn't even get hold of the office so yeah that doesn't help the panic.

5. Yes I have an issue w/this teacher.  Saying "he falls through the cracks bc he is quiet" is UNACCEPTABLE for a teacher to say.  To lose student's folders is UNACCEPTABLE.  It has their homework in it, sometimes testing notes from teachers as well.  My son has had to redo many assignments bc she has lost them.  Yes I know she lost them bc it got to the point where I walked into school & handed the folder to her & the homework still ended up missing & while folders are cheap I've had to replace my son's folder 3xs now.

So yeah when I bitch about things like that I have that right.  If that makes me a whiny bitch so be it!

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VickyJoJo
by New Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM
7 moms liked this

I had that happen a few weeks ago.  I got an automated call telling me my daughter was absent.  Well I had dropped her off myself so logically, I knew this could not be the case.  Still there was a bit of panic.  Unlike you, I was able to get through to someone in the office.  It was a clerical error and her presence was confirmed with apologies from her teacher.  So I do understand your panic.  

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

i would freak out also. 

Photo: -Randi.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah had I dropped him off I wouldn't have paniced I don't think, honestly my mind may have gone to skipping then at first but still would've worried something happened only bc it isn't like him to skip. 

I don't watch him get on the bus, he's old enough to do that on his own so my brain went right to something happening to him. 

I swear I felt like I had held my breath until I was told he was there safe & sound.  I feel like crazy mom now.

Quoting VickyJoJo:

I had that happen a few weeks ago.  I got an automated call telling me my daughter was absent.  Well I had dropped her off myself so logically, I knew this could not be the case.  Still there was a bit of panic.  Unlike you, I was able to get through to someone in the office.  It was a clerical error and her presence was confirmed with apologies from her teacher.  So I do understand your panic.  

dixiemama25
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM
I would of freaked out too
KennyPooPoo22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM
8 moms liked this
Meh, it was a mistake. No reason to freak out now that you know what happened.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM
The same thing happened to me last week with my 12 year old daughter. I freaked out too. However, her school did answer and assure me she was there, but those minutes of not knowing were extremely hard.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

That happens here a lot. Computers mess up too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM
5 moms liked this

I'm now just pissed.  This teacher (and I love all his other teachers) has said things in meetings like "yeah your son is quiet so he falls through the cracks."  I don't agree w/that, you have 10 students in your class no child should be falling through the cracks! 

Other things have happened as well & we have a meeting after fall break bc he is in AVID and she teaches this, he no longer has PE bc of this program.  It is  a program that is suppose to help prepare for HS & college & other things, they have done nothing.  It has become like a study hall & I'm not ok w/this as this is not what the program is about.

Quoting brettsmomma:

i would freak out also. 

Kermitthemom23
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Ya, I would have flipped too
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM
9 moms liked this

Uh, yah. THAT is definitely cause for a "Freak Out!" That was totally avoidable. Surely they knew a bus was a little late and those students would miss roll call. Geez.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)