Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

anyone else affected by shutdown been told this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
My husband and I are both prior military now civilian employees at the afb.

We both were sent home yesterday.

We were told via memo by our commander to expect a 15-30 day shutdown and to plan accordingly.

This won't be a short shutdown. Apparently there's thinking they may use the debt crisis on the 17th as leverage. Now if they don't get the 17th debt crisis fixed our country will be in even bigger trouble.

It just stinks how the holidays are around he corner.

:/
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I havent, but thats really interesting. My husband is Air Force and we are supposed to move in about a month. 

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM
We haven't been told how long it would last. I really hope it doesn't last that long though.
onethentwins
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I'm sorry. I hope this get's resolved quickly. Have you called your congressman/woman?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM
I hope it doesn't last that long either! I also hope they don't tie the debt ceiling in and fail to fix that either too.

We were just furloughed over the summer which makes this doubly sucky.

It is always the same group of.people who have to deal with this...stinks

Quoting RMB2011:

We haven't been told how long it would last. I really hope it doesn't last that long though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Called and emailed.

I got generic responses both times.

Party blaming and being told their working to fix the problem.

Quoting onethentwins:

I'm sorry. I hope this get's resolved quickly. Have you called your congressman/woman?

christyg
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I'm worried that it is going to go MUCH longer than 30 days.

My hubby has to work every day, but doesn't know when he will get paid ... not until this is all over, eventually.

We will be good for a month or two, but what then? My income pays for daily essentials, like groceries and gas. I'm already thinking we might need to take out a loan to cover the bills until he finally gets the back-pay.

I think we are in this for a LOOONNG time. Nobody from either side is willing to budge. It's not gonna be pretty!

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I haven't, but I saw on the news this morning that the AFB near my home is almost entirely shut down.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM

My husband is army and we are supposed to move next month also. we got his first copy of orders and is supposed to go today to transportation. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this shutdown dosen't hurt us with moving I am ready to get off of Oahu. I have been up since 3 this morning with a sick stomach because i am so worried, I just want to go home.

Quoting Anonymous:

I havent, but thats really interesting. My husband is Air Force and we are supposed to move in about a month. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Can you file for unemployment?
Birdseed
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM

FS here.  We've had very few communications about it from the DOS. 

DH is "essential" and is working business as usual...

As far as a timeline, I think that we'll probably get back up and running within 7-10 days, but then it's all going to go to hell again for the debt ceiling.  That's my best guess.  But I have absolutely NOTHING other than historical data to back that up.

Been listening to the radio this a.m. (we live in DC area) and there's a lot of talk but nothing definitive. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)