Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MIL texted me and asked what "we" are doing for Thanksgiving

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
1 mom liked this

Well I haven't texted back but "we" aren't doing anything. Me and DH trade off years and this year is with my family, we are  going to my mom's with all of my siblings, their spouses and their kids. We have 3 young kids (7, 3 and 2 months old). This is SIL's first Thanksgiving married and they will be with her inlaws so I guess MIL and FIL are on their own.

Asking my mom if we can invite them is not an option. MIL is a bitch to my mom because the kids like my mom better. Mom keeps her house child proof and has toys and actually plays with them, MIL keeps breakables all over the place, no toys and when the kids are over, they are expected to sit at the table with the adults and keep quite and not touch anything. So I am not going to ask my mom to ruin the holiday for herself by inviting MIL.

I am thinking about just texting back "remember, we will be at my mom's house". We will be home from my mom's  by about 6 (we do a lunch for Thanksgiving) so I might invite them over for dessert and coffee but we will have to see about that.

I mean, I don't want to sound mean but what else can I do? I mean we can't be at their beck and call every time SIL isn't available.

Dh doesn't like dealing with his mom because, well, he thinks she is a bitch too, he said "she texted you not me, you deal with her" lol

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM

BUMP!

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I was going to answer until I got to the part where you are calling your MIL awful names.

Good luck with that attitude.

aimesnyc
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

...tell her the truth? "This year is with my family. :)  We might have time to have dessert/coffee after with you, but not sure how the day is going to go yet."

LilliesValley
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I don't see what the big deal is. It's not her year, that's what you've always done, etc etc. I think your dh should deal with his family but obviously you don't care, so I don't.

HannahC
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM
I would just do what you said in your post. Just remind her that this is your parents's turn to have you on Thanksgiving. I think that is a great idea; we spend more of the day driving so we can get to both families than actually being with family
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I would just text her back like you said, we are going to moms this year and leave it at that.  I wouldn't even say what time I thought We would be back until closer to time that because you never know when something else with your family will come up.

SuperMommy22
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds fine to me. i think it would be nice if you were able to invite them over after you are done at your moms. It would be a nice gesture. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I didn't call her a name, I put what people in the situation think of her. I happen to agree with them but that doesn't mean I am calling her a name. Also, if you notice, she is the one alone (well with FIL) for Thanksgiving

Quoting TranquilMind:

I was going to answer until I got to the part where you are calling your MIL awful names.

Good luck with that attitude.

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Be honest and tell her you are going to your moms that you spent last year with her and FIL.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Our first Thanksgiving married, we did both families. They live an hour apart so yeah, we spent so much time driving we said never again, one family per holiday

Quoting HannahC:

I would just do what you said in your post. Just remind her that this is your parents's turn to have you on Thanksgiving. I think that is a great idea; we spend more of the day driving so we can get to both families than actually being with family

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)