Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you do this?

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM
  • 48 Replies
I guess another mom that has a child at my son's daycare asked what my son's racial mix is.

I thought that was odd. I can't imagine pointing at another kid I do not know and asking that. I know why she did it. Her daughter and my son look as if they could be siblings. I just thought it was weird to actually ask and not just be curious in your head...lol.

Is that weird or is it just me?

ETA: Sorry, didn't make it clear. She didn't ask me. She asked the daycare teachers. She isn't anyone I know. The thought of a stranger discussing my son's race with a teacher is what seems weird to me.
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:15 PM
I maybe would if i had a mixed child. Just out of curiosity. Did you thibk she was rude or out of libe?
P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:17 PM

People ask me that about DD. I don't think it is odd.

PandTsmomjuly
by Florence on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I'm the nosy type that when I get to know you and am comfortable, I have no problems asking. But I wouldn't ask someone I didn't know.

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

i think people are curious.  i wouldn't have asked  you directly...but, honestly, i would have asked the daycare workers.  i'm incredibly nosy though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:19 PM
I don't find it weird. Some people are just curious. People frequently ask about mine.
RaisinGirl78
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I get asked often "What are you?". Those exact words from lot of strangers over the years. I used to be annoyed by it. My ds answered once "A lady & my mom" lol. Now I understand some people are just thoughtless with their words. It doesn't bother me much anymore but I do find it a weird way to ask about my heritage.

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:21 PM
I might have asked if I knew you a bit but had never met your husband but I would have asked it differently I think. People are nosy and curious. Lol
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I completely agree. I understand being curious, but I don't understand why people care enough about race to ask.

caligirl7613
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM
i get that all the time as well. i am white but for some reason my hair is extremely coarse and "nappy" so lot of people assume I am bi racial. i get the "what are you" or "what color you is" ( yes those exct words) i just let it go in one ear and out the other

Quoting RaisinGirl78:

I get asked often "What are you?". Those exact words from lot of strangers over the years. I used to be annoyed by it. My ds answered once "A lady & my mom" lol. Now I understand some people are just thoughtless with their words. It doesn't bother me much anymore but I do find it a weird way to ask about my heritage.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN