Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Breastfeeding is hard! ETA

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM
  • 400 Replies
18 moms liked this

There is no doubt in my mind that breast is best, but sadly it doesn't work out for some women who desperately want to breastfeed.

When I was pregnant with my ds, I had every intention of breastfeeding him for a year or even longer. Unfortunately, he had other plans. I bf him for a whole 2 weeks. It was hell. He screamed bloody murder and absolutely refused the breast. I ended up pumping for 4 months and then switched to formula. We later found out that he had a broken collarbone, severe silent GERD and delayed gastric emptying.

On to pregnancy #2. Again, I was all about breastfeeding. My experience with my son had not deterred me. Well, it happened to me again, my dd started refusing the breast when she was around 4 weeks old. She screamed bloody murder and WOULD NOT latch. So, I ended up pumping for roughly 5 months before switching to formula. Like my ds, dd had severe silent GERD and delayed gastric emptying. Sigh.

I had SO much milk and my babies didn't want it!

Now, onto the point of my post:

I have heard a couple of times how hard it can be, but if you can make it past the initial hurdles, it can be an awesome experience.

Some women have problems and give up (of course, this doesn't include extenuating circumstances). I wish more women were informed that it can be a struggle at first!

Edit: The Ameda ComfortGel Extended-Use Hydrogel Pads saved my nipples when I breastfed. They are amazing.

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caligirl7613
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:03 AM
4 moms liked this
i wish someone had told me how bad it would hurt. yes it hurt me! i was 19 and no one told me that at the very start it causes your uterus to contract like your in labor. i remember almost dropping my son when i first felt it it shocked me so bad. i lasted 8 weeks but was so exhausted being a sahm to a 18 month old and newborn with a husband that NEVER helped..he literally just went to work in the AM came home..dinner was waiting...he ate, showered and went right to sleep. it was just sooo difficult i gave up. i could pre make the bottles and FF babies dont usually have to be fed as often. i was just sooo exhausted. im prego now and SO is very supportive of BF want really want me to. as childish as it is..im afraid to have to deal with that pain again
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MilkLover0203
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:05 AM
5 moms liked this
It is freaking hard. I got mastitis, and my nipples bled like no other. Having him latch on to bloody nipples was horrifying.
EmilyD83
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM
2 moms liked this
I forgot about the uterus contractions! Those were quite painful.

I really encourage you to try again, especially since your SO is so supportive of it! You will probably have a very different experience this time.
blue.chairs
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM
16 moms liked this
Yep. The beginning is extremely hard, but if you stick it out it gets easier. I think the saying is the first 3 weeks are the worst, the first 3 months are hard, and after 6 months you feel bad for formula feeding moms. (Having to prepare formula, wash bottles, etc.) Cracked, bleeding nipples aren't "normal" but most people experience them. I think it is extremely important that women know they aren't alone when they have those issues. BUT many women have very little to no exposure to other breast feeding women.
pinkiebabii
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM
5 moms liked this
I don't get this post... You had problems in the beginning and have up twice.

When was both of your kids very first bottles?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tardistraveller
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:11 AM
2 moms liked this

I did the first feeding when ds was born and I was surprised by how painful it was.  Nothing prepared me for that.

I am in awe of women who breast feed.  

I was relieved I would not have to continue it tbh.

Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:13 AM
It can be hard and after hearing some of the horror stories on here I consider my self lucky. Only issue I ever had was for 2 weeks before my oldest had his tongue clipped because he was tongue tied and reach his tongue under my nipple. Being gummed for 2 weeks hurt like hell, but it was smooth sailing the second it was done. With my youngest, it was easy from second one.
LiDoMama
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:14 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree that while it is very worthwhile, yes it is hard. I've had two of my four children have no issues, while the younger two have MSPI/possible other allergies. I commend anyone who gives it a try and I am so thankful for the support I have received. 

EmilyD83
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:17 AM
2 moms liked this

My ds was around 2 weeks and my dd was around 4 weeks.

I understand the whole thing with nipple confusion. I didn't even allow pacifiers because I didn't want to hinder me breastfeeding at all. I did tons of research on bf'ing while I was pregnant and talked to lactation consultants when I was having problems. It's really hard to express exactly how hellish it was, especially over the internet.

Quoting pinkiebabii:

I don't get this post... You had problems in the beginning and have up twice.

When was both of your kids very first bottles?

caligirl7613
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:21 AM
he really wants me to and we argue about it all the time. I probably will try just to make him happy but at the same time i can admit my attitude about it is wrong cuz even though i will probably give it a go, well its like ok i will do it to make u happy but thats the only reason y. hopefully i can "come around" as he puts it in the next 20 weeks or so

Quoting EmilyD83:

I forgot about the uterus contractions! Those were quite painful.

I really encourage you to try again, especially since your SO is so supportive of it! You will probably have a very different experience this time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)