Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I CAN'T STOP WATCHING MY SON.....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 129 Replies
2 moms liked this

BREATHE!!! Yup I am sitting here watching my son breathe, I can't stop bc I am just being a crazy mom!

We were at my DD's Fall Festival today, took my son w/us (he's 13) to help out (I am VP of our PTA). I hardly saw him the entire time, he was working the football game & hanging w/his friends.

We had a 30/45min left of the Festival plus clean up when he came to me saying he didn't feel well & HAD to go home.  He looked warm but it was hot in the school so I had him sit down & drink some water.  I started cleaning up a table & looked over at him & he had his hand on his chest by his heart.  I went over to him & pulled out my pulse/oxygen monitor & his heart rate was all the to 140 and he had been sitting for at least 5min by then maybe 10.  I had him take some deep breaths & drink a bit more water, dabbed him w/a cool rag but his heart rate was NOT coming down!

I found my DH & our DD, my neighbor ended up keeping my DD & we rushed to the ER.

Thankfully they got him in right away (though I tell ya still seemed like forever to getting him in), EKG right away.  Nurse took it straight to Dr, he came in & said other than a fast heart rate nothing seemed abnormal or life threatening.

So they did blood work, urine & chest xray plus gave him IV fluids in case of dehydration.  They also shortly later gave him some meds for his stomach as he said his stomach had hurt during the day periodically & that it seemed to travel up & his chest & throat burned.  So they gave him something in case of reflux.  Not sure how reflux can mess w/your heart though :(

The fluids seemed to start helping but still seemed FOREVER for his heart to even get belong 110 & stay below a 100.

All test came back normal so the Dr said more than likely it was dehydration, but how does that make you feel chest pressure?  Dr also said there is a stomach bug going around & he could have it.  How does that mess w/your heart?

So now I am sitting here & I can't stop worrying & checking to make sure he is breathing!  Am I crazy?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SnapShotMama
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:20 AM
2 moms liked this

My ds has severe reflux, holes in his heart and asthma (along with other things), and all three coinside. the reflux messes with his asthma, his asthma shuts down his pipes, causes his HR to go up, into stress level, and then its a big mess. Even without the heart issues it could still happen. Keep him proped up to about 45 degrees, no juice, oranges, ketchup or anything acidic.

not crazy, your just a mom who loves her son and i can atest to many sleepless nights spent just watching and waiting and praying <3

CelticMamabc
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this

No you are a worried mom... I hope he gets better and/or you find out what is going on with you son. Good luck

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:24 AM

My son has asthma but his oxygen was good so they didn't seem to think that was an issue.

But he kept saying he felt like his throat was tight or that it felt like something was in his throat.

Quoting SnapShotMama:

My ds has severe reflux, holes in his heart and asthma (along with other things), and all three coinside. the reflux messes with his asthma, his asthma shuts down his pipes, causes his HR to go up, into stress level, and then its a big mess. Even without the heart issues it could still happen. Keep him proped up to about 45 degrees, no juice, oranges, ketchup or anything acidic.

not crazy, your just a mom who loves her son and i can atest to many sleepless nights spent just watching and waiting and praying <3

smurfbitebug
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:25 AM
You aren't crazy you obviously have reason to worry. Maybe you should call his regular doc in the morning and ask her/him some questions either to help you figure out what happened so that it eases your mind and you can take preventative measures in the future, or to put him on notice that something isn't quite right here so you guys can figure this out and fix this. That would be my advice. And if it eases your mind to watch him breathe, you do just that.
I'm sorry for the scare you guys had. I hope it was just a fluke.
JealousGrrl
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Not crazy at all. I'd be freaking the same as you. I hope he gets better.
CrossStitchMum
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:31 AM
1 mom liked this
We worry about our babies whatever age they are :) hope he feels better soon
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:33 AM

I am definitely calling is Dr in the morning, I just wish I knew they could get him in right away.  I'm just hoping he is better in the morning but I think family dr is the only way my mind will be eased.  Even if my son goes back to his normal active self w/no issues tomorrow.  I'd still want to talk to our Dr.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

You aren't crazy you obviously have reason to worry. Maybe you should call his regular doc in the morning and ask her/him some questions either to help you figure out what happened so that it eases your mind and you can take preventative measures in the future, or to put him on notice that something isn't quite right here so you guys can figure this out and fix this. That would be my advice. And if it eases your mind to watch him breathe, you do just that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Omfg. It was heart burn. You women really do take your kids into the ER over small, non emergency, problems.

terpmama
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this
That's how my heartburn feels... No pain just something stuck in my throat. Just sharing my experience

Quoting Anonymous:

My son has asthma but his oxygen was good so they didn't seem to think that was an issue.

But he kept saying he felt like his throat was tight or that it felt like something was in his throat.

Quoting SnapShotMama:

smurfbitebug
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:36 AM
I understand that. I wish you the best.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am definitely calling is Dr in the morning, I just wish I knew they could get him in right away.  I'm just hoping he is better in the morning but I think family dr is the only way my mind will be eased.  Even if my son goes back to his normal active self w/no issues tomorrow.  I'd still want to talk to our Dr.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)