Around 7 hours ago my son ingested an extremely dangerous chemical, methyl salicylate. It is a major ingredient in shiling oil. My dh uses it for many things. Well, he had our 15 month old upstairs with him. Apparently he left the bottle down where my son could get it.
He came running down stairs with my baby and asked me to Google if shiling oil is dangerous. He told me he went to the bathroom and came out to see our son sucking on the open bottle! I called the poison control center who told me to rush my baby to the ER immediately.
After drawing blood a bunch of times and the ER doc conferring with the poison control center, it was determined he will be Ok. He has a trace of the chemical in his blood and has to be monitored fir a while but they don't think there will be any long term effects.
I'm just so frustrated right now. I know it was an accident but it's so stupid to leave something like that where a baby can reach it!
My son is doing much better and is in great spirits. Fir the few of you who actually commented about the post, I want to assure I did not freak out in my dh. I understand accidents happen and hope he walks away a smarter man. My son is very lucky. I was told if he had ingested even half a teaspoon it could have caused organ failure and neurological problems. Dhv and I are very grateful that he is fine and looking forward to going home. I've posted a picture if my little guy. It's on page 18 of the comments :-). I you can see he is perfectly happy right now lol
I also want to point out something else. There are a lot of people (the majority of the comments) attacking MotherLady fir her comment. Although many don't agree with her, it's important to keep in mind that everyone parents differently and it's not up to us to judge that. How she parents works for her family just as how you parent works for yours.