Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

He Could Have Been the Reason My Son Died! UPDATE

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:09 AM
  • 332 Replies
2 moms liked this
I can type this now because everything turned out Ok.

Around 7 hours ago my son ingested an extremely dangerous chemical, methyl salicylate. It is a major ingredient in shiling oil. My dh uses it for many things. Well, he had our 15 month old upstairs with him. Apparently he left the bottle down where my son could get it.

He came running down stairs with my baby and asked me to Google if shiling oil is dangerous. He told me he went to the bathroom and came out to see our son sucking on the open bottle! I called the poison control center who told me to rush my baby to the ER immediately.

After drawing blood a bunch of times and the ER doc conferring with the poison control center, it was determined he will be Ok. He has a trace of the chemical in his blood and has to be monitored fir a while but they don't think there will be any long term effects.

I'm just so frustrated right now. I know it was an accident but it's so stupid to leave something like that where a baby can reach it!

UPDATE

My son is doing much better and is in great spirits. Fir the few of you who actually commented about the post, I want to assure I did not freak out in my dh. I understand accidents happen and hope he walks away a smarter man. My son is very lucky. I was told if he had ingested even half a teaspoon it could have caused organ failure and neurological problems. Dhv and I are very grateful that he is fine and looking forward to going home. I've posted a picture if my little guy. It's on page 18 of the comments :-). I you can see he is perfectly happy right now lol

I also want to point out something else. There are a lot of people (the majority of the comments) attacking MotherLady fir her comment. Although many don't agree with her, it's important to keep in mind that everyone parents differently and it's not up to us to judge that. How she parents works for her family just as how you parent works for yours.
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Short_cake88
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Poor baby!!! I'm so glad he's ok! I'd be smacking my DH at the same time as feeling bad...he has to feel awful

mom2many747
by Momma Duck on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Thank you, so am I. I'm mad at dh even though I understand accidents happen. I just how he learns from this and never leaves anything down where the baby can get it. It's just common sense, you know?

Quoting Short_cake88:

Poor baby!!! I'm so glad he's ok! I'd be smacking my DH at the same time as feeling bad...he has to feel awful

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:42 AM

That is totally irresponsible.  That's like leaving a loaded gun on the coffee table. 

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Be prepared for cps to visit. :/
emmypaige
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:48 AM
Wow. I'm glad your baby will be okay.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:49 AM
11 moms liked this

Many fathers and mothers have done things by accident. I'm sure he's learned his lesson and won't make the same mistake, don't let this tear you two apart. Use it as a moment of appreciation that your child is okay and talk about prevention.

Tairy_Hesticles
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:51 AM
7 moms liked this
I hope you aren't holding this over his head. I'm sure he feels awful about it. Im glad your baby is ok, and I'm sure you both have learned something from this.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:54 AM
5 moms liked this

 

Quoting Anonymous:

Many fathers and mothers have done things by accident. I'm sure he's learned his lesson and won't make the same mistake, don't let this tear you two apart. Use it as a moment of appreciation that your child is okay and talk about prevention.

 Many of us , moms & dads both have made mistakes.

 It is so easy to point, when it is not you- who made the mistake.

Punchyobuns
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM

My husband has a hard time with not leaving his stuff around. It's such a man brain thing- "it's mine and I can leave it where I want and if you touch it it's your fault." Thank goodness your son will be alright and hopefully your husband learned something!

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM
6 moms liked this

I get you are angry but no parent is perfect and they are called accidents for a reason.  I can guarantee he has learned a valuable lesson and is already beating himself up enough over it.  So do him a favor and don't add to it and just be thankful everything worked out for the best.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)