Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You know what nobody ACTUALLY ever tells you? *eta*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

Poll

Question: How difficult was your breastfeeding experience?

Options:

Easiest thing I've ever done

Very easy, with some persistence

Not hard, but not easy either

Pretty hard but I made it through and kept nursing past 6 months

Very hard and I fought HARD to keep nursing and succeeded past 6 months

Very hard and I couldn't keep nursing past 6 months

So difficult that I was unable to nurse until 6 months

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 81

View Results

That breastfeeding might be EASY.

Telling someone it's natural does not equal telling them it will be easy.

All I EVER see is, "it's going to be really really hard, but don't give up," or, "It's too hard, just use formula."

Well, for me it wasn't hard. It took some work in the first few days to get him interested in latching on, since he was so sleepy, but after that it's all he wanted to do.

I had zero pain.

I had zero problems.

I was told I would need nipple shields. I didn't.

I was given all kinds of creams for cracked or sore nipples that I ended up giving away.

I'm curious how hard it was for everyone else and if I'm some amazing coincidental fluke.

I also had ZERO interventions in his birth and ZERO drugs or medications administered and my son was not bathed immediately, the cord was not cut immediately,  he got immediate and constant skin contact from the second he was born until the next day, he was not circumcized and did not see an artificial nipple until 6 months old.

These things are NOT sure ways to have an easy time breastfeeding, but I think it's possible that they played a role.

How was your breastfeeding experience?

Edit to add - I just wanted to explain that I described his birth because you rarely hear people compare breastfeeding experiences with birth experiences and third stage experiences, but there are a lot of influences that happen at that time.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Punchyobuns
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM

For me it was painful, bloody, and depressing.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:41 AM

It was very, very hard for DS and I. He latched weird, I got mastitis, my supply dropped. He was always hungry and screaming because he would suck me dry and want more. Best decision I ever made was switching to formula. 

**I went to a lactation consultant, she was a horrible person and no help at all. She did nothing but criticize me and offered no real help or solution. 

2Sparrows4ever
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Good for you!
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:42 AM
I see some of the horror stories o. Here and think I'm sooo freaking lucky. I had one issue. My oldest was tongue tied and it hurt like hell for 2 weeks till I could get it clipped. Then smooth sailing. With my youngest it was easy from the second he was born, not one issue and were still going strong at 19 months.
SyllabaryBisque
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:42 AM

It definitely hurt for the first couple weeks, but other than that, it was pretty effortless. Just had to deal with the pain for that short period of time. I breastfed him until he was a year old.

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:43 AM

It was easy for 2 and near impossible for the other two.  Every single baby is different.  So you had an amazing time with this one no guarantee that it will be that way for the next.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:45 AM
It sucked. I stuck it out for about 2-3 months with each of my kiddos. But it was awful.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:45 AM

It was very hard for me. My DS did not want to latch. He would scream and get impatient. In the hospital my MIL gave him a bottle when I left to use the restroom. She knew I was breastfeeding, so I wonder if that's why he hated it. Also, I had anemia and an undiagnosed metabolic disorder, and my milk supply started drying up. I tried Fenugreek, and other supplements trying to increase it. I tried pumping, nursing, even bought this weird attachment tube that you tape to your breast. It feeds your baby, but your baby suckling can help signal the body to produce more milk. I only got to for 3 months, and then I just stopped producing. I'm not ashamed, though. I know I tried. I wish I could have done it longer, but that's okay.

fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:45 AM
For baby #1 the first two weeks were difficult, after that it was a breeze. With my other two it was easy from day one. Also NEVER give away the nipple cream. It works AMAZING for chapped lips in the winter!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylifemylove864
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:46 AM
I think it was easy and hard at the same time. My child had issues, not me. I didn't have pain and I didn't find it difficult, even when she was attached 24/7. I just wore her and nursed her all day every day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)