Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So if all your income just stopped.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies
How long could you make it? How old are you? Have you just recovered from hard times?

We could make it about 2 months I believe. We were in a much better position, but we helped out family and lost money on an investment. We aren't on PA nor do we have government jobs, but if we did we would be in trouble right now. Even if I had 6 months income I'd be worried though. We are quickly saving back up like crazy and discussing radical changes but it is what it is.

Anyone wanna share a little of their story? Even if you'd be fine for a year or you are well off feel free to share how you did it and how hard you worked to get there. Be honest though if our govt continues to fail us financially like this we are ALL in trouble.

I know a couple that just had to deal with losing their income and went through all their savings in 4 months. It was no fault of their own either. They were prepared at the time. 2 issues back to back though and they may be in tons of trouble.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katyq
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:55 PM

A year

edit: my husband works as a contractor in Afghanistan and makes good money, we just paid off everything but about 1/3 of each of out two mortgages and saved with each paycheck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:56 PM

We could probably stretch it to a year if we had to. But realistically, we both have families who would help us out financially, so I'm sure we'd be fine longer than that.

Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:56 PM

We could make it for a while, probably 10+ years.  We have a lot in savings and in different places/investments.

two4one
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:57 PM

A very long time.

mojogirl
by Alice Liddell on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:58 PM

about 6 months, but if i lost my job i'd get unemployment so it'd be a lot longer than that probably that we could make it. the only reason i wouldn't get unemployment is if the state of texas imploded (same goes for dh).

we save every penny that doesn't go to bills. we very very rarely buy things we don't absolutely need. i feel broke most of the time but i know our safety net is worth it!

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:58 PM

We could make it longer than a day but less than a century!

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:58 PM
We could prob make it 6m. We used our savings to buy our house Dec before last and have had to do some expensive repairs to the house since then.
Ashley_Carlson
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:59 PM

BF and I know how to hunt and gather, so we could survive a very long time.

CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Long enough.

We have lost everything and we rebuilt, losing it all again will be a whole lot harder this time. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:59 PM
How long could you make it? Less than a month

How old are you? 32

Have you just recovered from hard times? Yes. I went through all my savings, over 10,000, when I was unemployed for 3 years. I make half the pay at my current job, so we are just barely making it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)