Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think my son is dyslexic.. help

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
my son is 5 and just started k. when he was 3, he went to headstart. the goal for the year was to write their own name.. he mastered it by October. he tested at and above grade level.
he only did a month of headstart when he was 4 because we moved and the pre k was full.

he had done a backwards letter here and there at age 3 but we brushed it off due to age. now, today I had him practicing his name because at school today he wrote it under the line instead of on. after a page or so his n's started being backwards, then his g's. it seems to be more and more frequent, although inconsistient. I asked him to tell me some letters on a piece of paper, he thought an i was an exclamation point and that a m was a w.
I'm very concerned. I don't know how to help him. please share any experiences or advice. my dh and I are big readers and "word" people and this is very unfamilliar and unsettling :/
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matofour
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Writing backwards could be a sign of dyslexia, but it's so common at this age, that it's nothing to worry about at this age.
He's five. Give him some time. Keep working with him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:36 PM
even at 5? he does fit the criteria for dyslexia in some other ways- speaks in halting sentances, stutters when nervous, some other things too- but these things also seem like they could be age related.

Quoting matofour:

Writing backwards could be a sign of dyslexia, but it's so common at this age, that it's nothing to worry about at this age.

desertlvn
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this
It is common enough that teachers don't worry about letter reversal until 2nd grade.
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:39 PM

my dd is going to be tested in a few weeks.    she is 7 1/2   I have been concerened for a long time because on constant backward letters and numbers and switch letters in words often. in k and 1st both teachers said that this is something young kids do when they are learning to read and write correctly and to just watch it.  her 2nd teacher asked the dyslexia teacher at her school to see if she qualifies to be tested because she should have out grown it by now  and she does.   if she is infact dyslexic it will explain so much

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM
It's very common until age 8.
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM

yes even at 5  teachers will even tell you not to worry about it till around 2nd grade

Quoting Anonymous:

even at 5? he does fit the criteria for dyslexia in some other ways- speaks in halting sentances, stutters when nervous, some other things too- but these things also seem like they could be age related.

Quoting matofour:

Bieg9093
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Reversals, both writing them and reading them, are common for some kids straight thru second grade.  It is NOT a sign of dyslexia.

How is his rhyming?  Is he able to look at a B and say Buh, look at a K and say Kuh, etc? 

Does he use a spoon and fork through a whole meal?  How does he hold his pencil?  Can he operate tweezers to pick up a cotton ball?  When coloring, will he willingly fill an entire shape with color?  Or does he just scribble a little inside of each one?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Take him for a comprehensive eye exam first. After that speak with teacher about getting him tested but you may have to push for it and they may make you wait until spring.
Bieg9093
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Oh...and is there any family history of dyslexia?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM
It's common for children at 5 to write things backwards some times. They don't even test for dyslexia until 7-8. Don't put to much pressure on him. Just relax and nicely correct it when you see it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN