Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

bedwetting and airplanes

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:12 PM
  • 46 Replies

We might be going to Hawaii over Thanksgiving (yay!).  The only problem is that our 9yo DD still wets the bed most nights, and it looks like we'll have to take a red eye back.  She normally wears diapers (goodnites leak, but we still have some).  I don't really want to try to keep her up all night, for both her sake, and mine, since I want to sleep too.

What have other people done?  Every other trip we've been on the flights have been during the day, so it hasn't been a problem.  Having her change in the bathroom on the plane seems difficult, since they're so small, but I also don't think she'd be thrilled about wearing it before getting on the plane either.

Any ideas?

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eb415
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM

BUMP!

Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Maybe haver her put it on right before you board--also take a lap pad w/you and put it on her seat....remind her that without putting the Goodnights on that she will have wet pants and have to walk through the plane w/a wet spot...Good luck!

SaraBethKY
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Planes are so uncomfortable I doubt you'd be sleeping much anyway, or at least not sleeping deeply enough for it to be a problem. I do agree that having her change in the bathroom might be really hard. Would it be less difficult if she was wearing a skirt? That way she wouldn't have to take pants off?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:20 PM

why does a 9 year old still bed wet? O.o

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM
I like the skirt idea. Even a floor length one would be easier.
eb415
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

why does a 9 year old still bed wet? O.o

Because she's a deep sleeper, and doesn't produce the hormone that shuts down her kidneys overnight.  That's not really what I was posting about.  It's not uncommon, even at 9.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Buy a new skirt for her to wear that will cover the good night.  Maybe swirly or extra full.

Have her help pick it out. Kudos to you for not beinga Mom who freaks out-eventually they all outgrow it......

eb415
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Quoting SaraBethKY:

Planes are so uncomfortable I doubt you'd be sleeping much anyway, or at least not sleeping deeply enough for it to be a problem. I do agree that having her change in the bathroom might be really hard. Would it be less difficult if she was wearing a skirt? That way she wouldn't have to take pants off?

That's a good idea.  I'd probably have her wear a pair of shorts over the goodnite/diaper as well.

And she probably won't sleep that well or that much, but I think it's a lot better for her to wear something and end up not needing it than have an accident, both because of potential embarassment for her and not the fact that I don't want someone else to have to sit in a wet seat when we get off the plane.

eb415
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Quoting Isaacsmom913:

Maybe haver her put it on right before you board--also take a lap pad w/you and put it on her seat....remind her that without putting the Goodnights on that she will have wet pants and have to walk through the plane w/a wet spot...Good luck!

Yeah, I understand that logic - I just hope she will too :-).  Having her change before we get on the plane is probably the easiest, even if she's not going to be thrilled about it.  That plus a skirt would make it easy.

eb415
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Buy a new skirt for her to wear that will cover the good night.  Maybe swirly or extra full.

Have her help pick it out. Kudos to you for not beinga Mom who freaks out-eventually they all outgrow it......

Thanks - I was slightly afraid to post this since I was afraid of all the "OMG why does a 9yo wet the bed" posts.  Yeah, we'd love it if she stopped, but otherwise she's health so it's not that big a deal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN