Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WHAT IS THE POINT OF HAVING A 504 ***i repeat, she did not eat the eggs!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Plan if the school isn't going to follow it???

I am so pissed right now I could chew on hot nails!

My daughter is deathly allergic to eggs.  The first week of school we have a DETAILED 504 plan laid out.  Everyone attended, all her teachers, counselor, etc.  The nurse assigned explained to the minute detail everything that should be done in case she has an allergic reaction.  

Today she went through the breakfast line to obtain a juice as usual and the cafeteria worker handed her a tray with eggs on it.  My daughter refused it but the lady said since she touched it she has to take it.

Immediate reaction to the egg and absolutely no one followed through on the 504 plan.

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Replies (41-50):
kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:59 PM
I'm in Henry. We're neighbors.
Dekalb is nice in parts but the bad is taking over.

Sorry about your DD.

Quoting IamMex11:

yes

Quoting kitty8199:

GA?

Quoting IamMex11:

freakin Dekalb.  I so can't wait to move!!

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

You need to report it to DOJ and hit them where it hurts.

I know you are local to me - you aren't in Cobb Cty by chance though?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowflower902
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:59 PM
I can't believe they did that!!! I'm furious for you !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:00 PM

hows the school system there?

Quoting stressedmama24:

Y'all aren't too far from me. I'm in Albany.

Quoting IamMex11:

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Letter of Understanding - Let them know where they failed in a calm tone of voice (easier said than done right now, I know). If there are medical expenses as a result of the breakdown, will they be covering them, etc.

Food Allergy Kids of Atlanta is on Facebook - I know they have another site but it has changed a few times.  They can answer questions too about the districts that handle it better than others.  Again, they have awesome advocates and I know you have the right to be pissed, it may be better to see if they can help you craft the email.

And the food allergy olicentral board is basically those from around the country who have been there, done that and had their ass handed to them and ate school staff for dinner as a result.

If your allergist is Dr. Seidu - his office staff is also fabulous at going to bat for you and your daughter.

Quoting IamMex11:

We are thinking Gwinnett.

LOU? sorry I am new to all of this. We just recently found out she is allergic.

Wow.  Thank you for the resources. (soon as I calm down, I will check it out)

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

I would not come to Cobb.  I honestly gave up and it's part of the reason I am homeschooling DS1 now.  (DS1 has life threatening allergies to wheat, rye, barley and egg).  For years they told me 504's are not necessary for food allergies, then last year they decided they were but I was asking for too much  

You can bitch and moan at the school all you want though.  Actually you should send a matter of fact LOU in regards to the incident and ask for a meeting.  They need to comply within 72hrs.  If they do not or do not meet with the expectations of the 504 then yes, you need to call the DOJ.

Food Allergy Kids of Atlanta has some great advocates and resources.  And if you search for Food Allergy Support Olicentral - check out the school section, they have some awesome resources and knowledgeable folks.

Quoting IamMex11:

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM

thank you...i am still just livid....i actually think i would bite through a hot nail if i had one...lol

Quoting snowflower902:

I can't believe they did that!!! I'm furious for you !

IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Thank you so much, now I am crying. I feel helpless.  Thank you for all the resources and I am going to look up that Dr!

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

Letter of Understanding - Let them know where they failed in a calm tone of voice (easier said than done right now, I know). If there are medical expenses as a result of the breakdown, will they be covering them, etc.

Food Allergy Kids of Atlanta is on Facebook - I know they have another site but it has changed a few times.  They can answer questions too about the districts that handle it better than others.  Again, they have awesome advocates and I know you have the right to be pissed, it may be better to see if they can help you craft the email.

And the food allergy olicentral board is basically those from around the country who have been there, done that and had their ass handed to them and ate school staff for dinner as a result.

If your allergist is Dr. Seidu - his office staff is also fabulous at going to bat for you and your daughter.

Quoting IamMex11:

We are thinking Gwinnett.

LOU? sorry I am new to all of this. We just recently found out she is allergic.

Wow.  Thank you for the resources. (soon as I calm down, I will check it out)

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

I would not come to Cobb.  I honestly gave up and it's part of the reason I am homeschooling DS1 now.  (DS1 has life threatening allergies to wheat, rye, barley and egg).  For years they told me 504's are not necessary for food allergies, then last year they decided they were but I was asking for too much  

You can bitch and moan at the school all you want though.  Actually you should send a matter of fact LOU in regards to the incident and ask for a meeting.  They need to comply within 72hrs.  If they do not or do not meet with the expectations of the 504 then yes, you need to call the DOJ.

Food Allergy Kids of Atlanta has some great advocates and resources.  And if you search for Food Allergy Support Olicentral - check out the school section, they have some awesome resources and knowledgeable folks.

Quoting IamMex11:

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Oh hell no. 

So they gave the epi and let her go back to class?  WTF?

Quoting IamMex11:

ok. here's the thing.  FIRST thing the nurse said was, if you administer the epi pen you must call an ambulance.  THEY DIDN'T!! I am so freakin frustrated

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

Holy shiznit - was she transported to hospital after?

Any chance Dr. Seidu is your allergist?   That is not cool in his book.  Good on the other student for getting help.

I am so sorry momma!

IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I love Henry county.  I am a real decent part of Dekalb and the school is really great other than them almost killing my daughter...sorry, i am trying to lighten up I am still soooooooooooo pissed

Quoting kitty8199:

I'm in Henry. We're neighbors.
Dekalb is nice in parts but the bad is taking over.

Sorry about your DD.

Quoting IamMex11:

yes

Quoting kitty8199:

GA?

Quoting IamMex11:

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Yes and here's the kicker.  I update all of my information with them at the beginning of the school year.  They didn't call me until after they called first my brother than my husband...

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

Oh hell no. 

So they gave the epi and let her go back to class?  WTF?

Quoting IamMex11:

ok. here's the thing.  FIRST thing the nurse said was, if you administer the epi pen you must call an ambulance.  THEY DIDN'T!! I am so freakin frustrated

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

Holy shiznit - was she transported to hospital after?

Any chance Dr. Seidu is your allergist?   That is not cool in his book.  Good on the other student for getting help.

I am so sorry momma!

LooneyLovegood
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Some details are missing, like your daughter having an allergic reaction, I would have to assume.
What is the full story? How old is she?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)