Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Got yelled at by a woman at Friendly's last night.

Posted by   + Show Post
DS earned enough points on his reward chart that he was able to pick out something to do. He picked going out to dinner and decided he wanted to go to Friendly's. So we get there and they're all decorated for Halloween. It was cute. Some of the decorations moved. There were these moaning ghosts that moved back and forth across this wire. They were activated by noise or movement...but usually they got them going by clapping. So the servers would do it for the kids when they were on their way to the table. We were seated right next to one of them. I didn't mind. DS made a big deal out of it, acting like he was scared, bc that's what he does for attention. Its obnoxious but we got him to knock it off.

Well, there was this bigger kid who was seated on the other side of the restaurant that seriously spent the entire time we were there clapping at the ghost by our table. It was really annoying. Every two minutes (I'm not exaggerating) he would clap and it would go off. Not only was the clapping annoying (not the decoration-his clapping) but he was in people's way! He bumped into our table numerous times and almost knocked over my soda, servers had to say "Excuse me" multiple times and he just kept clapping.

So I finally had enough and I said VERY NICELY "Hey honey. Why don't you go sit with your family for awhile? Maybe give some of the people who are coming in a chance to try the ghost."

Well, he very nicely said "Ok" and wandered back to his table and then about five minutes later I hear loud talking and this big woman comes over and starts yelling at me about how I was nasty to her kid and he has every right to play with the toys and if a white or hispanic kid was doing it (weird, right? Hispanic?) I'd be fine with it. So I'm just like "Look. They're not toys. They're decorations. They're not meant to be messed with constantly. I was nice. Please leave."

So she like left and then sat in the back and kept bitching about me and our server said she even asked that I be removed from the restaurant. The manager said that I hadn't really done anything to warrant being removed from the business lol. Then when she was walking out she made a point to cross and go over my way and breathe heavily and stare at me. I just smiled.

I mean, really. How ridiculous. She should have had enough common sense to not let her kid-who was at least 8 or 9-mess with that thing constantly. Even my five year old knows that when you're in a restaurant, you sit down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Replies (121-130):
white_wolf454
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM
exactly But sadly you're a dying breed of how to be a parent and how to raise kids who have respect .now a days most are scared to parent cause they fear to be judged and the gov is too much into our families

Quoting purplepersian:

This is going to make me sound old and im only 27 .When i was a child i was tauht to respect my elders along with my parents this child was was disrespecting both. If my child had done what this child had i would be walking over and aploigizing to you for my childs actions not only me but my child would be apoligizing to you op.Thats just me though I care about other peoples feelings and i want the same thing for my children.I dont want to raise my kids to be self cetered and not care about what they do or say and how it effects other people.

liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Although we agreeing, I need to point out that is a distinction without a difference.  Respect and Courtesy are synonyms. (Thesaurous.com)

Quoting shaynaj1980:

It's not respect. It's courtesy. And you're right. A lot of parents don't teach their kids to have courtesy for others.

Quoting liltampa71:

I so agree.  One of my biggest pet peeve is that kids don't aren't taught to respect ALL adults.  Heck, they don't even respect their parents.  

Quoting Nicoleb9:

You better believe it! Adults in general had authority over children and children had a healthy respect for it, too. That's why they behaved everywhere they went. Now the parents think it's just fine for Johnny to annoy others, wreak havoc in public and basically act like a heathen, all while giving everyone who doesn't think it's cute the stink eye.

Quoting handy0318:

Wow... we've come a long way since I was a kid. When I was a kid, if somebody's kid was acting like that, any adult in the business could have given him a swat, told him to go sit his butt down and nobody would have batted an eye. 

No, I don't think any adult should ever lay a hand on another person's child, just remarking on how things have changed in the past 40+ years.

As far as it not being the OP's business... if he was bumping into their table and making it impossible for them to enjoy the meal they are paying good money for, then it's her business. I would have done the same thing and handled the mother in the same way. I think the OP handled the situation exactly right.

Goddesswillow
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I never would allow my child to do that, and if my kid did something like that without my noticing i would love for someone to tell them to go sit down.

Cutenessmom
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I see  people reading compherension is bad  on these things lol! The kid was  being a disruption abnd a danger to everybody! They should kicked the crazy woman out.

Jblb
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Hahaha

This....

Quoting alphamom26:

Lol, whatta nut job...She was just pissed she had to deal with her own child after the free babysitter got taken away.

Allisonc7910
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM
You done pissed big mamma off.
MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:53 PM

It is. It's on the level of a Dennys far as we're concerned.  In short we don't like the place but it might just be ours in particular.

Quoting sarasunshine99:

I didn't even know that Friendly's was still around!

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:54 PM
i dont expect a fine dining experience but the food is cheap and quick and ds likes it so i dont mind going sometimes.

Quoting MicheleJM:

It is. It's on the level of a Dennys far as we're concerned.  In short we don't like the place but it might just be ours in particular.

Quoting sarasunshine99:

I didn't even know that Friendly's was still around!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I would have done the same thing. The child is smaller and doesn't have a long way to go before he lands on the floor. And tripping him is not like knocking him down.
Better to have him land on the floor than a waitress carrying a tray of food and deinks

quote name="victoria1971" id="0"]What a bitch I would of told the mgr to remove her bcs she can't control her child. This happened to me once with a few kids whose moms were in a restaurant getting drunk and their kids were everywhere. I ended up tripping one and the mom looked at me and I told her she got in my way. They sat down after that lol[/t
JanineDeer
by Janine on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM

People are getting ruder and ruder and ruder

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)