Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My husband and I can't come to an agreement

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM
  • 70 Replies

My daughter's school wants to skip her 2 grades, they wanted to do it last year but we held off.

she turned 10 in August and is in the 5th grade, they want to skip her to 7th grade.  She already does 7th grade work and is excelling.  This would mean she would be an 11 year old 8th grader, would go into high school at age 12 and would graduate high school at age 15 (her birthday is in august so she would just be starting college at 16)

My husband wants her to skip the 2 grades, i want her to stay in the same grade and just continue with sitting in on 7th grade classes.  I don't think it's the best idea for her to go to high school only being 12 years old and graduating at 15.  I don't know, I'm not sold on it.  I MAY be ok with her skipping one grade.  I just want her to remain with her peers that are her age.  My daughter doesn't know how she feels about it.

Would you allow your child to skip 2 grades?

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM
4 moms liked this
I'd let her do it. No point in holding her back if she's already doing the more advanced work. She could also take a year off between high school and college. Maybe travel a little and then go to college at 17.
KGreen75
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Good point about taking a year off between high school and college. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd let her do it. No point in holding her back if she's already doing the more advanced work. She could also take a year off between high school and college. Maybe travel a little and then go to college at 17.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:08 PM
2 moms liked this
How about just skip one grade? Meet in the middle.
JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM

No, I'd consider starting with one grade and even that would be debatable

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM

My parents wouldn't allow the school to skip me two grades.  The compromise was one grade and BOTH my parents didn't want it done for the same reason as you. 

I'll be honest.  It's a lot of pressure to put on someone young despite what they may say.  Academically she may be on the 7th grade level, but emotionally she's not there yet and it may be tough on her.  I would definitely talk to her about it before making a solid decision because ultimately, it's about her and what is best for her and how she'll be able to handle it.    In the meantime, let her continue sitting in on the 7th grade classes and maybe she can participate in a gifted program to help challenge her beyond what she does in regular classes.

An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Two grades? Nope.. There is a whole lotta social maturing that goes on in two years. One grade I would consider. Two years, is a no.

My niece (and her mom) wants to graduate by 16 so she can start community college before going to a university. She's 13 now and, while she's very very smart, she's very naive and childlike. I worry about what going to community college at 16/17 would do, especially since she is home schooled. Nothing against homeschooling, but her mom babies her immensely and will not let the child grow up, so she isn't as emotionally or mentally mature as her peers. Does this make sense? I feel like I'm ranting offensively.

P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Oh idk I would too sacred to let her go to 7th. Some of those kids are ruthless and so mature.

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Why don't you do a family meeting with your daughter and inform her of the pros and cons of skipping 2 grades and let her decide. Good luck. I know I would have loved to get out of school sooner but my parents didn't let me have a social life so that part wasn't an issue.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I would let my daughter decide sit her down go through all the pros and cons with her and help her come to a decision because ultimately its her life and she is the one that is going to have to deal with the consequences since she doesn't know how she feels about it give her a couple weeks but let her know that she needs to come to a decision about it by such and such date and then stick with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I wouldn't do it. While a 2 year age difference means nothing to US, it means a lot to a child. Especially a child that young. She may be excelling NOW, but what happens when things get harder(as they do in HS) and she can't keep up?

She will also enter HS, being 2 years younger than the other kids, which means she may be subjected to more mature things, that she may not be able to handle.

If she is as smart as you say, is she in the GT program?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN