Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What some people don't get about peanut butter allergies...

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  • 463 Replies
31 moms liked this

People are always saying that allergy kids are given special treatment. Why can't we just stick them at their own table? Why aren't we teaching them to beware of peanut butter?

Well, I've never met an allergy kid that didn't know they were allergic and to avoid that food (if it's a deathly allergy, food intolerance is another story). But I have met hundreds of non-allergy kids that couldn't tell you the first thing about an allergy and have no idea why they should wash hands then they are done eating.

The problem with peanut butter is NOT the children who have allergies, it's the hundreds of other kids who are eating peanut butter and probably won't wash their hands. It's the non-allergy kids that teachers have to keep track of, NOT the allergy kids!  It's the kids who eat peanut butter and get near that kid because they are clueless. It's the fact that our public schools are so packed with children but not enough teachers, so they can't always be on top of hand washing and separation. 

I work at a private preschool and with just 15 kids in the lunchroom and 1/2 of them eating peanut butter it's a BIG JOB to get everyone packed up and washed after lunch. We don't have a nurse on staff (a lot of public schools don't either- news flash!) and it would be a NIGHTMARE if one of our allergy kids had a reaction. No teacher should be put in that position over something so PETTY.

/end rant

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kyndall30
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM
5 moms liked this
I fully agree with you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM
4 moms liked this
Burn all the peanut butter!!
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 1:00 PM
116 moms liked this
Sorry. The world cannot conform to an individual.

The individual with the allergy HAS to manage it because the world will not.
LectioDivina
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM
33 moms liked this
Stupid , selfish people will always think their inconveniences are more important than the lives of others.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM
7 moms liked this
Amen sister! In addition, I think the vast majority of the peanut allergies are not nearly as allergic, if at all, as they say. It's just a control issue.
Quoting Momniscient:

TheDoctorsWife
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 1:05 PM
2 moms liked this
It's a big job to get 15 kids to wash their hands?
kristen0812
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Can I hug you? If not, I am anyway. Not only are the children learning proper hygiene, it could potentially prevent a reaction from happening.
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 1:07 PM
15 moms liked this
Anaphylaxis is actually rarer in children. It's much more common to come on in adulthood and out of the blue.

The staff should be well versed in recognizing the signs, calling 911 immediately and the parents have an obligation to provide epi.

There is NO WAY to make an environment safe for a person that allergic.

Quoting Anonymous:

Amen sister! In addition, I think the vast majority of the peanut allergies are not nearly as allergic, if at all, as they say. It's just a control issue.

Quoting Momniscient:

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 1:07 PM
17 moms liked this
I agree. I work at a daycare and we start teaching our kids as going as two about allergies. I'm allergic to mushrooms and we have several children allergic to eggs, dairy, peanuts.

If we are served a dish with mushrooms I explain that I cannot eat it, because it will make my tummy hurt and I'll get sick. So all my kids know, if there are mushrooms, Miss Ashley won't be eating. And they know if there's eggs that it's dangerous to feed them to L, or he'll have to go in an ambulance. It's cute, cause they'll say, " Oh no,a mushroom! Miss Ashley, don't eat it, your 'lalergic'. lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 5, 2013 at 1:10 PM
8 moms liked this
Agree here. I do understand that there are some that are death allergic but then don't place them in public school or work our something else. Cancer patients that can die from a sneeze don't go out to the mall and shop. Total control issue and give me special attention and treatment.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Momniscient:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)