Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At Home, DIY Pet Euthanasia

Posted by   + Show Post
Opinions?
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

My Father did it when his 19 year old dog was very old and infirm. No vets available, and no money to pay for it.

Doggie was very excited at the thought she was maybe going to go hunting....never heard or felt it coming. Died happy.

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:03 PM

where i live, it's common to put down your own animals.  I don't think i could do it though

SinaiJ
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:03 PM

DAFUQ? NO.

MamaRae85
by *you're on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I don't think you're wrong, I'm just wondering. Why, if you don't mind my asking?

Quoting drowningmama:

We do it for our cows on the dairy but not housepets -- no, could never do a housepet.

tracy0812
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM
I couldn't do it. With our dog, we were at the vet anyway. I can understand doing it at home where they are surrounded by their family. I just couldn't do it.
copperked
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM
I would rather take them in and let a professional handle it. I had to euthanize a baby raccoon once that we found in the driveway. Worms were already eating it alive and one of its eyes was hanging out and it was screaming. It was the worst thing I've ever had to do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM
I done it, but it's easier to take them to the vet sometimes. Plus the vet will cremate larger animals.
momager2two
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Never had to. Mil had a vet come to her home for both her dogs within a month of each other. One had a seizure disorder so she codnt leave the house and the vet just came out for the other one. I couldnt do it myself and i dont know if dh could or would do it.
anotherhalf
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Could never do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I have only done it with a rat. My bil snapped its neck because he was dying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)