Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At Home, DIY Pet Euthanasia

Posted by   + Show Post
Opinions?
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Replies (21-30):
.Zombie.Girl.
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I don't believe in putting animals down when they are sick. I believe in making them comfortable and letting nature take it's course. 

wixychixy
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I've had to do it before with my sister's dogs that accidentally got into antifreeze.

I raise chickens and have had to do it a few times for chicks that weren't fully formed before they started hatching or didn't absorb the yolk sac and caught it on the eggshell.  On rare occasions the chick just doesn't do well and I can't let it suffer.  Comes with the territory in hatching chicks.

marinenonstop
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:08 PM
If we're talking about snapping a chickens neck... Yes. However, a house pet? No.
L202M
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's very smart to put this idea out there whether it exists or not.  Better left unsaid IMO.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:12 PM

As in taking it out with a shotgun, no.  A humane injection, yes.  Although, in my state even if you know how to administer injections the DEA won't allow vets to give you the medication because people were using it to kill people.  So you either have to call the mobile vet or take the animal in. 

tardistraveller
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this
My Mom had to do it to our cat who was seizing. She had feline leukemia. She also did to my pet mouse when my sisters mouse gutted him. If they are suffering and there is nothing else you can do to help them, I think it's kind. No being should suffer. That being said, I will not have ANY pets unless I can afford full vet care. rehomed all of my cats when DH got laid off; they all had disabilities, save for one, and I wouldn't let them go without.
firespurity
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Depends on the method honestly
blue-heart
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:14 PM
We had to put down a few goats because they were either injured or sick and were going to die anyways.
ivegotrhythm
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:15 PM
I worked for our local humane society for five years and have literally held hundreds of dogs as they were euthanized by lethal injection. It's not as peaceful as people think. Trust me.

A well placed bullet is actually quicker and far more humane.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)