Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At Home, DIY Pet Euthanasia

Posted by   + Show Post
Opinions?
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Replies (31-40):
FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Where I'm from, people would just take them out back and shoot them if say, the vet was closed or too far away. It was considered better than letting the animal suffer.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Quoting .Zombie.Girl.:

I don't believe in putting animals down when they are sick. I believe in making them comfortable and letting nature take it's course. 

How is an animal in pan from cancer made "comfortable"? They can't tell you it hurts....they can just lie there, in pain and suffering.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:18 PM
I know this guy who had to "get rid of some hamsters". He and his brothers had two hamsters, male and female, and they had so many babies in a short period of time! His mom told the guy that they needed to get rid of them before their dad got home. So, he got two plastic cups, filled one half way up with water, put one baby hamster in, and drowned it using the other cup. He did this until there were no more baby hamsters! He was a preteen or a teen at the time.

Same guy, but this time his dad wanted to get rid of a cat for whatever reason. So he had his son tag along (he was like 10 years old) with him to a river and proceeded to drown the cat. The cat fought back, but eventually drowned. The guy was a little traumatized by that.

When I heard those stories, they made me sad for both the guy and animals. Disturbing, I could never do anything like that and I'm not a pet person!
drowningmama
by vendetta on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Why to the cows or why to the housepets? I just couldnt do a housepet because I would be too close to them. A vet would have to do it.
Quoting MamaRae85:

I don't think you're wrong, I'm just wondering. Why, if you don't mind my asking?

Quoting drowningmama:

We do it for our cows on the dairy but not housepets -- no, could never do a housepet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM
What the fuck people... !!!
There is a reason that barbiturate drugs or "pink sauce" is given humanely thru an I.V to an that's either suffering or sick.
"Didn't know it was coming"
"Fell a sleep like a baby"
... Yeah I don't think so! Animals are a lot smarter than most give them credit for! Also, they sense anxiety,fear,suspense,any kind of emotion that is being projected by the person going to kill holding the gun!
Yes it's killing and yes it's inhumane!
I don't care if anyone says that some people can't afford it
First, those people, if that badly off, shouldn't own an animal!
Most vets will put down an animal that's suffering or sick for free if its left at the clinic and explaine the situation!
Know this for a fact!
.Zombie.Girl.
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I think its pretty obvious when an animal is in pain. We give them pain meds and/or liquor. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting .Zombie.Girl.:

I don't believe in putting animals down when they are sick. I believe in making them comfortable and letting nature take it's course. 

How is an animal in pan from cancer made "comfortable"? They can't tell you it hurts....they can just lie there, in pain and suffering.

mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM

That is what we have always done. A bullet to the brain is painless and instantaneous, I don't see the sense in paying to have someone inject a drug that takes minutes to work. 

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Dh has had to once. We found a kitten trapped under our house that was malnourished and had broken its spine. Even a trip to the vet would have caused too much suffering.
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Head shot? No seriously. That's the only way I'd kill a pet other than going to the vet. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting .Zombie.Girl.:

I think its pretty obvious when an animal is in pain. We give them pain meds and/or liquor. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting .Zombie.Girl.:

It's not. That is how my cat (who was 21) got down to 4 1/2 pounds before I had him put to sleep. He had bladder cancer. I never noticed he was in pain-but I noticed the weight loss.

You can't give a cat alcohol. it can kill them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN