Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At Home, DIY Pet Euthanasia

Posted by   + Show Post
Opinions?
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Replies (41-50):
Toxic.Stardust
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:25 PM
I couldn't do it.
zoegirlsmom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Farm animals, yes.

House pets, NO.

Toxic.Stardust
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this
DH held our cat when they had to put him down. He came home with scratch marks all over his arms :(

Quoting ivegotrhythm:

I worked for our local humane society for five years and have literally held hundreds of dogs as they were euthanized by lethal injection. It's not as peaceful as people think. Trust me.

A well placed bullet is actually quicker and far more humane.
MamaRae85
by *you're on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I see. I can understand that.

Quoting drowningmama:

Why to the cows or why to the housepets? I just couldnt do a housepet because I would be too close to them. A vet would have to do it.
Quoting MamaRae85:

I don't think you're wrong, I'm just wondering. Why, if you don't mind my asking?

Quoting drowningmama:

We do it for our cows on the dairy but not housepets -- no, could never do a housepet.

TrouserMouse
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM
There is an approved method for at home euthanasia that is approved by the Veterinary Association.

Quoting Anonymous:

What the fuck people... !!!

There is a reason that barbiturate drugs or "pink sauce" is given humanely thru an I.V to an that's either suffering or sick.

"Didn't know it was coming"

"Fell a sleep like a baby"

... Yeah I don't think so! Animals are a lot smarter than most give them credit for! Also, they sense anxiety,fear,suspense,any kind of emotion that is being projected by the person going to kill holding the gun!

Yes it's killing and yes it's inhumane!

I don't care if anyone says that some people can't afford it

First, those people, if that badly off, shouldn't own an animal!

Most vets will put down an animal that's suffering or sick for free if its left at the clinic and explaine the situation!

Know this for a fact!
PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM

holy cow how sad :/

Quoting copperked:

I would rather take them in and let a professional handle it. I had to euthanize a baby raccoon once that we found in the driveway. Worms were already eating it alive and one of its eyes was hanging out and it was screaming. It was the worst thing I've ever had to do.

.Zombie.Girl.
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM

DH had a cat that was 19 when it died at home and he was losing weight too.

To us (I was his GF at the time) it was obvious the cat was in pain, he wasn't eating. Animals don't eat when something is wrong and when something is wrong pain tends to be involved. DH's mother gave him some left over Oxy from her back surgery and the cat died about 10 days later after it stopped eating. He was at home in his bed at my MIL's side when he died.

If people want to put their pets down by a vet or themselves I have no problem with it at all. We just prefer to let nature take it's course. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting .Zombie.Girl.:

I think its pretty obvious when an animal is in pain. We give them pain meds and/or liquor. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting .Zombie.Girl.:

I don't believe in putting animals down when they are sick. I believe in making them comfortable and letting nature take it's course. 

How is an animal in pan from cancer made "comfortable"? They can't tell you it hurts....they can just lie there, in pain and suffering.

It's not. That is how my cat (who was 21) got down to 4 1/2 pounds before I had him put to sleep. He had bladder cancer. I never noticed he was in pain-but I noticed the weight loss.

You can't give a cat alcohol. it can kill them.

Bknotnobody
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM
To each their own...idk how I feel about it. Part of me says whatever people do to put their mind at ease about an ill pet is their business. The other part of me says no fucking way I could do it myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:36 PM
I don't think I could do it. I really want to apply for this job at my local humane society. The only thing holding me back is the fact that they train you to euthanize. I just don't think I could do it. Especially if there's no issue other than overcrowding at the shelter :(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Quoting .Zombie.Girl.:

DH had a cat that was 19 when it died at home and he was losing weight too.

To us (I was his GF at the time) it was obvious the cat was in pain, he wasn't eating. DH's mother gave him some left over Oxy from her back surgery and the cat died about 10 days later after it stopped eating. Animals don't eat when something is wrong. It when something is wrong pain tends to be involved.He was at home in his bed when at my MIL's side when he died. If people want to put their pets down by a vet or themselves I have no problem with it at all.

We just prefer to let nature take it's course. Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting .Zombie.Girl.:

I think its pretty obvious when an animal is in pain. We give them pain meds and/or liquor. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting .Zombie.Girl.:

I don't believe in putting animals down when they are sick. I believe in making them comfortable and letting nature take it's course. 

How is an animal in pan from cancer made "comfortable"? They can't tell you it hurts....they can just lie there, in pain and suffering.

It's not. That is how my cat (who was 21) got down to 4 1/2 pounds before I had him put to sleep. He had bladder cancer. I never noticed he was in pain-but I noticed the weight loss.

You can't give a cat alcohol. it can kill them.

My cat was eating-but the blood inthe urine told me it had to be getting painful.  He died in my arms very peacefully.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN