Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So much for getting rid of my home phone....

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM
  • 42 Replies

I JUST got my DS10 a cell phone because it was going to be cheaper than having the land-line anymore and the only reason I kept it was for those times when I ran to the store real quick and left them home alone.  Now, I can't.  Three weeks ago, I applied for an at home CSR position for a tech firm and I hadn't heard anything, so I got the cell.  Well, wouldn't you know it, I got the job.  I found out yesterday.  I guess it's a good thing I hadn't canceled the service yet. 

I know it's exciting that I finally got a job, but it's going to take some juggling to make it work due to the days/hours and it's only a contract until April with potential to get another contract after that.  It's not a lot of pay ($9.25/hr), but I need to get my foot in the door somewhere and get some documented tech experience, since it's not easy to prove that I have been doing IT Consulting for the last two years.  Besides, it's pretty easy- tech support for installation of tax software and some IT support for the website, like password resets.  All necessary, but not really that difficult. 

The hardest thing will be keeping the kids quiet while I'm working, since it's evening hours.  I was thinking of getting a sign for my bedroom door that says, "Quiet, I'm working!" or something to that effect.  The kids are 6 and 10. 

If there are any WAHM's who have some good ideas for me, I would love the advice! 

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
opal10161973
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:43 PM

No one?  simple frown

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I'm starting at home CSR in a couple of weeks and just had to order a land line.  It actually works out to my advantage because I've been having MAJOR billing issues with my cable internet company and I will be cutting that down by $30 by ordering DSL and land line. 

My son is 8 and I'm a single parent so I don't have anyone to "watch" him while I'm working at home.  I'm hoping to take emails a little in the morning and evening then do the majority of my calls on Friday (I don't work Fridays) and some on the weekends.  It's mostly my training that's going to be an issue.  I flat out told him that I will be able to take very short breaks but he absolutely HAS to be quiet because I HAVE to do this.  Training is very inflexible on times but I can choose my own hours when I'm actually working, but I have to get there first.

Anyway, I have a Roku and he has a tablet.  The Roku remote has a headphones jack and he can watch Netflix or Hulu on that or his tablet.  I made him a list of activities he can do that aren't noisy... reading, watching shows with headphones, Legos, homework, drawing, etc.  And I'm actually making him an "I'm bored" jar right now.  During training I am going to utilize my mute buttons as much as possible.

ff-princess
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:53 PM

congrats!  I'm waiting for a new job to open with an at-home customer service rep company.  I just need one to pop up with the hours I need!  there was a perfect one and I didn't accept it in time, and the shift filled up.

opal10161973
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Mute is my best friend, but once I start taking calls, since they are in bound, I won't be able to do that.  I have orientation on the 6th of November and training will last from the 11th to the 6th of December.  All from 2pm-8:30pm EST.  The kids get home just before 4pm, so it will be a bit hard at first, I think.  I like the list and jar ideas.  I know that DS10 will be fine, if I shove him in front of tech, but he's only allowed so many hours a day, so that will be a bit of a juggle.  DD6 is the one who is loud a lot and busy, so very busy and she is more needy, too.  ALso, I can't pick my hours, I just know the time frame (2-11pm) and that the shifts will be 4-5 hours long.  We have Roku's in every room, BTW.  That only does so much. 

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I'm starting at home CSR in a couple of weeks and just had to order a land line.  It actually works out to my advantage because I've been having MAJOR billing issues with my cable internet company and I will be cutting that down by $30 by ordering DSL and land line. 

My son is 8 and I'm a single parent so I don't have anyone to "watch" him while I'm working at home.  I'm hoping to take emails a little in the morning and evening then do the majority of my calls on Friday (I don't work Fridays) and some on the weekends.  It's mostly my training that's going to be an issue.  I flat out told him that I will be able to take very short breaks but he absolutely HAS to be quiet because I HAVE to do this.  Training is very inflexible on times but I can choose my own hours when I'm actually working, but I have to get there first.

Anyway, I have a Roku and he has a tablet.  The Roku remote has a headphones jack and he can watch Netflix or Hulu on that or his tablet.  I made him a list of activities he can do that aren't noisy... reading, watching shows with headphones, Legos, homework, drawing, etc.  And I'm actually making him an "I'm bored" jar right now.  During training I am going to utilize my mute buttons as much as possible.

opal10161973
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:10 PM

AWWW, I'm sorry.  We had people drop out of the info yesterday because of scheduling conflicts.  It's not easy to find the right fit. 

Quoting ff-princess:

congrats!  I'm waiting for a new job to open with an at-home customer service rep company.  I just need one to pop up with the hours I need!  there was a perfect one and I didn't accept it in time, and the shift filled up.

tiniowien
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM

If I could I would do my job from home, it's mostly dealing with members of our hotels reward system if I and the servers I doubt I'd have many problems; besides keeping a kid quiet 

opal10161973
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Believe me, it's not as easy as it sounds.  DD6 is loud, whiney at times, and very busy.  I use the phrase, "Inside Voices" a lot.  LOL

Quoting tiniowien:

If I could I would do my job from home, it's mostly dealing with members of our hotels reward system if I and the servers I doubt I'd have many problems; besides keeping a kid quiet 

tiniowien
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I currently work in a call center, I have at least 5 loud voices around me lol I feel like saying that to adults. Thank god for loud public school I learned to tune out noise, 

Quoting opal10161973:

Believe me, it's not as easy as it sounds.  DD6 is loud, whiney at times, and very busy.  I use the phrase, "Inside Voices" a lot.  LOL

Quoting tiniowien:

opal10161973
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:27 PM

LOL  I hated working call centers. 

Quoting tiniowien:

I currently work in a call center, I have at least 5 loud voices around me lol I feel like saying that to adults. Thank god for loud public school I learned to tune out noise, 

Quoting opal10161973:

Quoting tiniowien:

tiniowien
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I don't mind the job, it's the hours I work 1:30-10, which I can do easier at home. I have enough tech skills to handle most of the calls by myself lol 

Quoting opal10161973:

LOL  I hated working call centers. 

Quoting tiniowien:

Quoting opal10161973:

Quoting tiniowien:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)