Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A gay teenager charged with having sexual relations with a minor. What do you think

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 123 Replies
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4036862

A gay teenager in Florida charged with having sexual relations with a minor entered a plea deal Thursday that will land her in jail for four months, followed by two years of house arrest with electronic monitoring, according to multiple reports.

Under the plea deal, accepted by a judge Thursday morning, the sentence for Kaitlyn Hunt, 19, would also include a period of probation after her time in jail and under house arrest, CNN reports.

Hunt has been in jail since Aug. 20 after violating a court order not to contact the alleged victim, and will remain there until Dec. 20, the judge said.

Hunt was 18 years old when she allegedly began a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old girl. Both Hunt and her girlfriend were students at Sebastian River High School in Sebastian, Fla., a small town about 90 miles outside Orlando. Hunt's mother, Kelley Hunt-Smith, has said the relationship was consensual.

The case drew national attention as many contended that Hunt would not have been arrested if the relationship had been heterosexual.

Dating between seniors and freshman is not uncommon at many U.S. high schools, but under Florida law, persons under the age of 16 cannot legally consent to sex.

The case began in the fall of 2012, when the 14-year-old girl's parents pressed charges against Hunt and petitioned the school board to have her expelled.

"These people never came to us as parents, never tried to speak to us ... and tell us they had a problem with the girls dating," Hunt-Smith wrote in a statement once posted on Facebook. "They were out to destroy my daughter. [They] feel like my daughter 'made' their daughter gay."

Hunt was expelled in February and charged with two felony counts of lewd and lascivious battery. She is now also charged with two felony counts of interference with child custody and a misdemeanor charge of "contributing to the dependency of a child," according to CNN.

Hunt had previously rejected a plea deal offered to her last spring that included a child abuse charge and would have given her two years of house arrest and one year of probation.

I Lost my virginity when I was 14 to an 18 year old also. But I never thought it was wrong :/
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Bump
.Bubbles.
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM
4 moms liked this
I saw this last night, and felt for the girl right up until they said the reason she was in jail was because she sent 20,000 texts to the girl she was going to court over. The 18 year old made a lot of bad decisions. Lucky for her she will serve very little jail time.
2ltlmonkeyz
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM
19 moms liked this
Well she broke the law , I don't think it has a thing to do with her being gay . I wouldn't want an 18 year old screwing my 14 year old either.
saywatuwill
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow. I think that if they don't want these two age ranges mixing then they shouldn't be placed in school together. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:03 PM
6 moms liked this
Oh give me a break. A 19 yo had no business with a 14 yo.
handy0318
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:03 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree with laws that make it a crime for an adult to have sex with a minor more than three years younger than them. That's just too much of an age difference and most 14 year olds are not ready for sex, no matter how much they think they are... they're just not.

I don't think adults should have sex with minors less than three years younger than them... but would agree that it's probably best in most cases not to make a legal case out of it. Not if there isn't coercion. 

Hunt made too big of a deal over the homosexual aspect of this. Most parents of 14 year olds are not going to be OK with an 18 year old having sex with their kid. 

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:04 PM
7 moms liked this

She ought to be treated like any other child predator.  Her sexual preference makes no difference -- even if it seem she is trying to use that as a benefit to skirt the law and wants to be treated differently.

The.Last.Rebel
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I think the same thing I'd think if it was a girl and a guy.

firespurity
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Regardless of age difference 14 is to young to consent to sex at all.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)